• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

2 pass or more force for pop out stickers using laminated stock?

doinacut

Hi all, doing some digitally die cut stickers the other day and found that they were easier to pop out and required less cutting force when doing 2 passes to cut. So question is, what will wear out the blade more? Doing 2 passes or using more force?

Using a graphtech fc9000 and cutting over the channel so no cutting strip to worry about.

Cheers!

Goatshaver

Shaving goats and eating bushes
As long as your blade is sharp and extended enough they should pop out fine with a single pass. I do these all day on my FC9000 and have never done 2 passes.

What degree the the blade that you're using? Should be a 60 deg. and if you are using a 60 then you probably need to extend the blade a bit more.

doinacut

They are cutting and coming out fine. Just need a fair bit of force. Around 38 I think it was for laminated stock. I'm actually using a standard 45 degree blade and is working great. Just need more force as i cant extend the blade any further without dragging the back of it through the media. But the question I had was which is worse for blade wear? More mileage or more force?

Goatshaver

Shaving goats and eating bushes
They are cutting and coming out fine. Just need a fair bit of force. Around 38 I think it was for laminated stock. I'm actually using a standard 45 degree blade and is working great. Just need more force as i cant extend the blade any further without dragging the back of it through the media. But the question I had was which is worse for blade wear? More mileage or more force?
Doing 2 passes you're going to wear it more since you're doing double the cutting even if the second pass is easier on the blade, you're still doing 2 passes.

Saturn

Your Ad Here!
I'm in the 2-3 pass cut camp, and find that it's usually more of a blade chipping thing, than a blade dulling quickly thing. I AM on a Summa tangential, so there's differences, but I like the 45° blade. I can usually do 20-30k stickers before I have to change the blade, using 2-passes.

As you will read on the forum, lots of different solutions for similar problems. I'd be sure to try your own ideas and see what gives you the results you're after. That said, consumable Graphtec blades shouldn't get you too down. I'd be more chasing quality and ease of life issues.

BigNate

on our fc9000 I try to never make 2 passes over the same line - even if it looks perfect there is usually a 'hair' of vinyl on a few of the final stickers where the blade shaved off just a little when the position was off. - very thin, and functionally not a problem, but the customers really do not like the extra 'hairs' in their order.

you can get the larger diameter blade for the fc9000 - it will give you a little more depth of blade....