• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3am

d fleming

3 am and just finishing a large panel truck with a bazillion rivets, now to go clean screens and get them ready for print runs tomorrow afternoon. Remind me again why I'm not teaching high school any more, oh wait, I remember, curtain climbing crumb snatching house critters.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Remind me again why I'm not teaching high school any more, oh wait, I remember, curtain climbing crumb snatching house critters.

I'm in the same boat...but a bit different. I absolutely loved my students. It was the politics, administration, and "the system" that I couldn't handle.

JB

WildWestDesigns

With teaching, I really do think that it was the times and place that you were in that dictated on rather or not you had a favorable experience.

My grandmother (who just passed on fall of last year at 101.5 yrs old) love her students and they loved here. They wrote to her (letters not emails) long after they graduated. Ironically she outlived the majority of them by a long shot.

Alicia on the other had, hated her experience with it and she went elsewhere. For her it was a combination of students and the politics (both of which go hand in hand in my opinion). She couldn't get out of it quick enough. She is having to stay over for end of year stuff now, but she would rather this, then stay over for teaching.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I'm in the same boat...but a bit different. I absolutely loved my students. It was the politics, administration, and "the system" that I couldn't handle.

JB

When she was a teacher back in the 1960's, my sister was once reprimanded for reading the Edgar Allan Poe poem "The Bells" to a fifth grade class. The idea was to demonstrate the use of onomatopoeia for which the poem is often used as an example. Evidently one term that was used in the discussion was "sound with a sensual feeling". Later that day, little Susie asked her mother what "sensual" meant. Mom looked it up and saw one synonym was "sexual" and lodged a complaint with the principal the next day. It didn't matter that "sensual" means a lot of things simply pertaining to stimulation of the senses.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
After what I said above, I should mention that I still love teaching and mentoring. I hold two or three (free) day-long training sessions at my shop each year for my mentees (who live out of state, and are not my competitors).

They bring stuff for the grill and we make a day of it.

JB

d fleming

Just to clarify, it was late and I was a bit punchy. I enjoyed teaching very much mostly because of the kids. The job just simply didn't pay enough and I taught art which meant I had no clue from year to year if I still had a job because of budget restraints. Art and music always go first when things get tight.

jman

I love working late at night! I've always been a night owl and even though this business has ups and downs, when it's good it's damn good lol