• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3m 1080 carbon fiber plotting????

bigblocktrader

My local rep told me I can use my plotter to make decals with 3M 1080 CARBON . Just did a batch it cuts and weeds great, installed transfer tape (med tac) and my luck it wont lift off the backing. Has anyone tried this before? Rep not answering phone lol.

boxerbay

the textured face doesn't let the transfer tape adhere well. try applying some heat and use a heavy squeegee.

31legen

App tape

Ive had luck with the clear app tape. Also turn it upside down and squeegee from the backing paper and peel from the backing paper versus from the app tape, if that makes sense. I did this project a while ago with good results with this method.
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 203

bigblocktrader

Thanks for suggestions everyone, I have some clear tape and will try now, I did squeege hard both sides just wouldnt work with med tac, Ill try some heat, If clear doesnt work I get some high tac monday,

rdm01

I've never trusted using 1080 to cut lettering, lines, or small elements because of the nature of the adhesive? Does it last using it in this manner?

31legen

Durability

That ski was done 3 years ago. The bottom part below the rail is done and held up without issue in water. I did edge seal it to be certain.

rdm01

Impressive. I guess I won't be overly concerned with medium to large detail cut wrapping vinyl.

bigblocktrader

Well found my clear transfer tape and yes it works just fine,no heat no excessive hard squeegee Made 100 decals and 25 of them are 1080 carbon,
For those who think it can only be done with med to large decals attached is 8 x 5 with some very small detail letters

Attachments

• small carbon decal.jpg
    small carbon decal.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 99