• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M calendered gloss

"Deposit Please"

3M ij35c-10 calendered gloss vinyl. It has 5 yr outdoor life. 3M recommends using 3M 8509 laminate, but this laminate has only a 1 yr outdoor life. It just doesn't make sense why 3M would recommend a much shorter life laminate. Anybody use this combo with success? (atleast 2 yrs or better)

MikePro

recently got a sample roll from my supplier... laminate too. stuff looks/feels good. nice and thick after lamination and prints just as good as any of their supercast material.
applied a sample to some aluminum and its been sitting outside for the past month with no issues... i don't see it failing anytime soon.

if you're looking for longevity, i wouldn't be shopping anything less than cast materials. buuuuut I have a feeling it has at least twice the lifespan of any of the economy vinyls out there.

Freese

3M ij35c-10 calendered gloss vinyl. It has 5 yr outdoor life. 3M recommends using 3M 8509 laminate, but this laminate has only a 1 yr outdoor life. It just doesn't make sense why 3M would recommend a much shorter life laminate. Anybody use this combo with success? (atleast 2 yrs or better)

That is the overlam I would go with. I always match calendered vinyl to calendered overlam.

This is the best way to go, unless you step up to cast vinyl.

Edit: 8509 overlam is 3 year film

Freese

Are you sure about 8509 being 3yr OUTDOOR laminate?? Supply catalog says different (up to 1 yr outdoor)
Not sure which catalog you are looking at, but according to Grimco's catalog (who is very knowledgeable about their 3M products), this is what it says.

mSFF5.jpg

"Deposit Please"

There's a discrepancy between the 2 catalogs. Fellers has 3M 8509 LAM as a 2.5 mil w/ up to 1 yr outdoor. What you posted from Grimco says that same material 3M 8509 LAM is a 2 mil w/ 3 yr. Not sure who to believe. We are talking Overlaminate , right?

MachServTech

From 3M:

3M™ Scotchcal™ Luster Overlaminate 8509
Overlaminate 8509 is a clear 3-mil film that provides ultraviolet and physical protection to digitally-imaged graphics made with 3M promotional graphic films when used according to 3M’s written instructions. It is designed for cold roll lamination only.

From Graphic Protection Options
Overlaminates and Clears for All Imaging Methods:

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?hhhhhjK59tWIam3J1NpV1mCJVLK2VtK58LihVLihVhhhhhh--

No application to vinyl film applied to
fleet, truck or vehicle graphics,
reflective graphic film
Use no application heat for premasked
8909 Matte version of 8908 graphics

And another which suggests a combination that yields a 5 year warranty

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...9U5230GE3E02LECIE20KBP7_assetId=1180612494187