• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M cracks me up!

ProWraps

just bought yet another REDICULOUSLY expensive vcat tool. of course had to buy the entire thing because they refuse to sell just the wheels that last all of about 2 months.

anyhoo, i was reading the little paper that came with it, and laughed my ass off when i got to the fine print on the back. here it is:

The purchase of 3MVehicle Channel Applicator Tool VCAT-2, Tool Roller L and Tool Roller S (the ”Tools”) includes
a limited, non-exclusive license for the Buyer to use the Tools, in conjunction only with 3M film products, to teach
and/or perform the method claimed in the following patents and patent applications owned by 3M Innovative Properties
Company. Patent or Publication Number United States Patent Application Number US 2007/ 0000606 WO
00/43220 European Patent Number 1 147 019. The rights granted under this Label License extend only to the Tool
purchased herewith. Buyer may not transfer the rights granted hereunder except with the resale of the Tool. 3M
DOES NOT make any warranties or representations regarding use of the Tools to practice the method under this
Label License. Buyer represents and warrants that it will use 3M film products when teaching or performing the
method described in the above referenced patent application. The rights are expressly revoked if Buyer teaches
and/or performs the method with a non-3M film product. Further licenses of these patents and patent applications
are available for a negotiated royalty.

now i know why the pile of crap is so expensive! they must have spent a fortune on an attorney to write that and to enforce it! man i sure hope i dont use it for anything other than installing 3M products!

CheapVehicleWrap

LOL that is funny. almost as funny as wrap juice. Bet you didn't know you can wrap an entire vehicle with just your finger. I take extra special care of my vcat, where and what it's laying on.

ProWraps

LOL that is funny. almost as funny as wrap juice. Bet you didn't know you can wrap an entire vehicle with just your finger. I take extra special care of my vcat, where and what it's laying on.

yeah you deffinately dont want to burn the wheel. its usless at that point, but god damn, we litterally drive them until the wheels fall of. which seems to be about every 2-3 months. im on my 4th one in just over a year. thats $520 in vcats.

and we are left with a handle, and a rim. its bullsh*t that you can buy just the wheels for them like the rollipro.

one c clip, and it comes right off.

but then again, $40 for a piece of wood, with pins in it, and $20 for a pen with a needle pretty much sums it up.

i did use the last one to put down some oracal. i guess my rights were revoked at that point. lucky for me, it was in its death throws, so the new one i just got in, ill make sure to ONLY use on 3M materials.

the good new is, if i decide to sell it, i can transfer the use of it to the new owner. which is MUCH better than The President Dave Dorkey of Aurora Graphics allows me to do!

CheapVehicleWrap

yeah you've lost your rights. good thing it dies and you got a new one and got your rights back. Maybe you didn't just loose your rights with the last wheel, but it actually
KNEW it was rolling oracal and self destructed. There's money in the development to introduce that type of technology.

ProWraps

i think your right. its that proprietary media sensing foam 3M has developed. i think it was originally meant for the space station project, but i guess 3M ended up with the rights to the technology.

what is this wrap juice of which you speak? its it a new energy drink for us wrappers kinda like crunk juice?

cdiesel

You use the Vcat too much man!

We should totally patent using your finger to install vinyl. And while we're at it, let's start bottling WrapJuice for all those late night installs!

CheapVehicleWrap

From what I saw it does the opposite of an energy drink.

If you watch the video's about 1/2 way you'll see a tool yet that they haven't marketed yet. And when he realizes it's showing on the table he quickly takes it away. I'll laugh if they try to market it...it's a common store bought dollar item. Did else anyone see it?

Automattek

Hi there guys,

I'm new to the forum and have been getting into vinyling for customer vehicles.
I saw from the 3M installation videos that channel applicators could be used, however I don't know where to buy these products. Does Fellers.com supply these? I purchase all my vinyl locally, and they don't deal with 3M so I have had troubles looking for some reasonably priced tools.

I also found Lowen Certified, but I wanted to shop around and find some better deals. Any help would be much appreciated thank you!

jasonx

I guess US laws don't apply down here because I never got any piece of paper with my tools.

Never really understood the price of wrap tools.

The amount of vinyl you buy Chris you'd think they'd be giving you 3M tools for free.

HulkSmash

just bought yet another REDICULOUSLY expensive vcat tool. of course had to buy the entire thing because they refuse to sell just the wheels that last all of about 2 months.

anyhoo, i was reading the little paper that came with it, and laughed my ass off when i got to the fine print on the back. here it is:

now i know why the pile of crap is so expensive! they must have spent a fortune on an attorney to write that and to enforce it! man i sure hope i dont use it for anything other than installing 3M products!

Everytime i use one of these, the bolt sticking out of the end slices up my vinyl. So i dont use it anymore..

ProWraps

The amount of vinyl you buy Chris you'd think they'd be giving you 3M tools for free.

i wish.

im a small fish in a big pond.

but ill tell you what, i do buy a lot of 3m media and lam especially because its all i use.

i would seriously consider leaving it for another vendor that did give redemable "points" or what not for the money you spend with them. i think it would be a killer idea for any vendor.

signwarehouse does it and ive cashed in on it several times.