• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M-Laminate 8518 3yr durability??????

AUTO-FX

well, hey, I dont think anyone is saying that Avery isnt capable of making a quality product. In fact, back when a bunch of us were using Avery, it was because it WAS a quality product. Avery changed something in the formulas, it was a disaster, they handled it miserably, and so now most people are gun-shy about ever using avery again. I know if I were Avery, I would want to make the best product i could possibly turn out to try and win some people back. I personally find it curious that they are not campaigning here. Or anywhere, for that matter. It's as if nothing ever happened. That's the scary part.

AUTO-FX

Lol !

I've admitted it in previous threads - they DO make an awesome paint protection film. I use it and swear by it. I dont care to use the sign vinyls though. That is all.

AUTO-FX

oh yeah - 3M 8518 - use it and like it. cant document any long term durability yet as i am too new to the digital printing. One thing i CAN document is the problem i have when using a new roll. SEEMS , when i have a new full roll loaded , i have some sort of a static build up or something and the material backs up under the rollers as it's coming off the laminator. does any one else have this situation? Is it static or is it operator error?

Premier Wraps

well, hey, I dont think anyone is saying that Avery isnt capable of making a quality product. In fact, back when a bunch of us were using Avery, it was because it WAS a quality product. Avery changed something in the formulas, it was a disaster, they handled it miserably, and so now most people are gun-shy about ever using avery again. I know if I were Avery, I would want to make the best product i could possibly turn out to try and win some people back. I personally find it curious that they are not campaigning here. Or anywhere, for that matter. It's as if nothing ever happened. That's the scary part.

Totally agree. You'd think they'd push it more.

John Butto

MacTac

Just received a sample roll of LF3648 - PERMACOLOR; 1.5 MIL CAST GLOSS VINYL and it states 5 year life. Have never used MacTac but have been using Arlon, Oracal, and 3M cast overlaminates for some time and they all seem to hold up the same. Does anyone have any feedback on MacTac products.

NAC

Hi east coast kid

In my experience when you start messing with one manufactures lam on another's base film your just asking for trouble. Best to pick base film you prefer to use then match it with the recommended laminate.

What Premier Wraps said about writing down batch numbers of base & lam on your job sheets etc is a very smart move, any issues later on down the track that information will be critical to getting a speedy resolution.

Also your original question re the 8518 lam warranty this has been updated, it is now the same as 8519/8520. Gut feel is being a new film they needed more data & played the conservative game. Better to be safe than sorry.