• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M original wraps kits

letterman7

Dumb question and really doesn't fall under wraps, other than it's from 3M's "wrap" division: Has anyone installed their striping kits? My local Ford dealer is killing me with Mustang kits, purchasing them from 3M. That, I don't particularly care about - the vinyl itself is great to work with. My beef is the "instructions" that are included with the kits. Nothing is labeled other than some cuts and squares on the backer. The instructions note a "top" orientation... top of what? The car? One set actually didn't quite work that way so I wound up turning it 'upside down' to make it work (front bumper, of course). I guess it's just my rant for the day, but was curious if anyone else had issues figuring out one of these kits.

Bretbyron

"Top" means top of graphic. As in "this side up". The gaps or notches usually indicate panel ends and or trim and moldings.

The last set I installed was for a 2014 GT 500 and it was about $250 for just the passenger side fender, door and quarter. It didn't even come w/ an applicator. :thumbsdown:

letterman7

:) My point exactly. What's considered "top" on a pair of stripes on the roof, hood or trunk lid? Thankfully there is (usually) enough extra to overlap the edges... usually. Most of the pieces will have little flares if they go over an edge.. but even figuring those out can be a chore. Since I don't order the kits I don't know what they cost usually, unless the invoice is still stuck to the box. I just see the markup that the dealer throws on it once I'm done (added to the window sticker - won't reveal prices here but I've seen as much as 400% markup on some of the kits I've done.).