• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3m Paint Protection Film. Contour vs Non Contour Plotter.

trik12001

Hi, this is my first post here and was doing a lot of research, but i could not find an answer. I was wondering if someone could help me out.
I'm looking to purchase a Vinyl Plotter to cut out 3M Paint Protection Film/Vehicle wraps. I was about to purchase a plotter that does not do contour cuts, Will this effect any plotting i do? (Cutting 3M P.P.F. is 99% of this machines job. )
Thanks.

Patentagosse

I make my own kits from bulk rolls but I don't understand your question: can you describe it more in-deep? I do everything on my old Mimaki CG-61 (+10 y.o.) w/o problem. I set the pressure to 160 grams as for plotting reflective vinyl. The only thing I do is slowing down speed.
:Welcome:

trik12001

Some plotters have a Contour cutting feature, where you can feed a pre-printed decal into the machine and it will scan the decal or something and will cut around it as to have even margins. All I want done is to cut out pre-existing templates from 3m's catalogue. So I wasn't 100% sure on which machine to get.

Thanks for the welcome
I have been lurking here for a few months, but i couldn't find any information on this question, so I had to ask. lol plus the community seems great.

Patentagosse

I first thought you were looking for a plotter that can cut thru the backing paper to get separate pieces, ready-to-apply... That would have been flatbed plotters probably... As for your question, you can probably get any plotter out there, no need to pay premiums for big brands, other than getting a decent service but honestly, I'm in sign business / vehicle graphics for over 22 years and never had a single issue on the 2 plotters I owned along those years (Mimaki CG serie). Swapped blades every 1½ - 2 years. That's it! If you do tons of PPF, maybe you should consider Roland plotters as they have a serie that is recommanded by PPF distributors (don't ask me which serie...)