• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3m premask...is it really better?

gabagoo

I recently switched to 3m scpm-3 premask.
Yes it is thicker and is a little more forgiving on application,
but what I have found in the week I have used it is that when premasking and having to overlap premask on to itself, it really does not stick that well to itself and have had multiple instances where the premask separates right in the middle of an application which makes for big trouble.

Am I alone with this occurence?

Baz

You are not alone ... That's how 3M premask is. I think it's nice but not worth the premium. I buy Proveer's house brand (Perform i think it is called).

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
more overlap...

hehe...

Actually, yes... I think 3M's premask is better. It unrolls much better and is not as prone to curling BECAUSE it does not stick to itself as much as other stuff -- even as it ages. Unlike some others which become next to impossible to unroll if its getting old.

gabagoo

I just finished putting 3m white 220 on a wheelchair bus and unfortunately my roll was not wide enough and I just had to overlap it. I was well over 2" with overlap and that sucker fell apart while putting the graphic down over a ridge. Should have heard me swearing.

I peeled the mask off and sat therte for close to 20 minutes popping bubble after bubble.
Looks OK and will pass but I definately can only use this stuff if it completely covers the graphic or the hell with it.

Lesson learned...More money spent on pre-mask = more headache on install!! lol

going back to R tape

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
I was well over 2" with overlap and that sucker fell apart while putting the graphic down over a ridge.

I would never trust a 2" overlap even with the more aggressive stuff... always at least 6" overlap of premask... saves a lot of trouble.

thewvsignguy

4075 r-tape conform, knock on wood never had a problem. Tried other brands of clear, paper, high and medium tack we just end up going back to the 4075. Never tried the 3m mask but thanks for saving us the headache!

gabagoo

4075 r-tape conform, knock on wood never had a problem. Tried other brands of clear, paper, high and medium tack we just end up going back to the 4075. Never tried the 3m mask but thanks for saving us the headache!

Don't get me wrong, the 3m tape is a good product, you just can't overlap it. For frosted vinyl it is the best for wet application and because it is so much thicker than conventional pre mask it allows the graphic to go down a little easier.

MikePro

if I have to overlap, i assist the seam with blue painter's tape.
i love 3M premask, but we've switched over to a more inexpensive brand years ago and we seem to make it work just fine for us.