• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3m vhb red tape...

weaselboogie

Can I trust it? I'm in the middle of an install using 3m vhb clear tape with the red release liner... 5/8" wide (not the foam tape). I'm a bit worried that I may be getting a call . Doesn't seem to be grabbing as I thought. Using it on pvc letteri attached to a painted wall. The Pvc is kinda thick and a bit heavy, and I can pull the letter off the wall.

I'd like to be able to sleep.tonight. can anyone assure me that there's nothing to worry about?

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i use it quite a bit.

i'd like to say you have nothing to worry about, but there was that one time i put up a 5' x 5', 3/8" thick subsurface plexi sign with it and it came down and took the door knob off underneath it......

wall wasn't quite flat (bad drywall job) and the sign flexed, slowly the tape unpeeled like a zipper effect until the weight took it down.....

weaselboogie

Thank goodness.... first time I've used it when it really matters. So if nothing has fell by the time I leave, I should be good?

What's better? This stuff or foam tape?

weaselboogie

F%$#

Just got a call from the customer today that a letter came down.... and the letter is broke that I didn't make.

... and its 1.5hrs away

Last edited:

Marlene

Just got a call from the customer today that a letter came down.... and the letter is broke.

sorry to hear that. the problem that I have found with this kind of tape is the backing of what you are sticking and the surface that you are sticking it too must both be totally flat so that there are no gaps, even little ones. the foam tape extends a little out from the surface of the letter/sign so that you can get a good seal. the thin stuff may not be touching totally as it is as close to being even with the back of the letter/sign as you can get. with a wall, there could be places that it just didn't touch even if the wall looked flat. also, look at the broken letter to see if the tape is all on the letter or all on the wall as it could be a problem with the surface of either not wanting something stuck to it.

d fleming

Try backing it up with a few dabs of silicone. The tape will hold long enough for the silicone to set. That or anchor it.

John Butto

3m 4910

I use the 3M 4941 which has the plastzier (sp) which holds a lot better for things such you are doing. I use both but only the 4910 when putting pvc to pvc or acrylic to metal etc. Like they said use the double stick 4941 with some silicone and you will sleep better.