• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3'x3' Sign On One or Two Poles?

Sven

Is a 4"x4" square aluminum pole strong enough to support a 3'x3' 080 aluminum or poly-metal sign, or will strong winds likely weaken the joints or bend the sign in time?? I have five to install, and I'm trying to reduce the number of holes that need to be dug.

Billct2

You'll only have 16" unsupported so I would say fine, depending on how you fasten.
When I'm concerned about this type of mount I like to put double row of fasteners (probably thru bolts) instead of one set down the middle.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is this a center mount on the pole or a yard arm type hanging sign ??

One or two sided, in other words.

Yeah you will be ok with .80 or dibond. you could always put horizontal braces and inset a few inches top and bottom, to double prevent the sign from being bent. depends on the asstetics of the back of the sign if you want to there.

FS-Keith

Do not use a composite for something that big. I would use .080 alum for a 3x3 panel, drill and tap 3- 3/8" bolts

Last edited:

tsgstl

If they are real estate signs or somewhat temporary then you will be fine with composite panels. Use fender washers and or string 2 3' wide 2"x4"s for added support on top and bottom between the sign face and post. Mdo is only a little more expensive and solves all these problems though.

Edit: don't listen to anything I just wrote I totally miss read your original post
You should be fine with composite, but I have seen it fold and pop through fasteners. .080 bolt through like mentioned is the way to go.

Moze

I would use .125" aluminum and run VHB tape at the very edges of the 4"x4" - from the top of the sign to the bottom. Then a few dollops of silicone between those strips of tape - like every 6" or so. One bolt at the top, one at the bottom, washers behind the panel to match the thickness of the VHB tape. It won't go anywhere.

skyhigh

Lots of stop signs are 36" and they for the most part are .080 and on one post.

But the "U" post flexes & twists with the face. His 4x4 post will not move, thus putting a strain on the fasteners.
If these are not "pretty" signs, then you can abandon the 4x4 and use the U-channel & .125 for the face.

If you're locked into using the 4x4 aluminum post, then do as Moze suggests. His is good advice (quick and easy too)
I would use .125" aluminum and run VHB tape at the very edges of the 4"x4" - from the top of the sign to the bottom. Then a few dollops of silicone between those strips of tape - like every 6" or so. One bolt at the top, one at the bottom, washers behind the panel to match the thickness of the VHB tape. It won't go anywhere.

Marlene

how are you mounting it? pole in the middle? pole on one side? hanging from and arm? what kind of hardware? the only one I can see that might give you problems is the one pole on one side.