• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

4x8 Metal Sign Pricing Help

GorillaGraphix

Okay so new to this forum and having a hard time finding any threads on this, I have been making 4'x8' MaxxMetal signs for a little while now. I use 3m Ij35 with an over laminate.

My material costs are as followed:

4'x8'- Maxx Metal 42$
ij35- $186 or .24c per Sqft
3m overlam- $210 or .31c sqft

So at 4'x8' my material costs laminated are $17.60 + $42 for the Maxx Metal = $59.60 not including ink.....

My question is what does every one else charge i have been all over the map on this........

Any help would be great.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
First, always account for media unrolled never merely media used. Just because you end up with a scrap or two is no sign you'll ever use them for anything. If you do it's a bonus. If you don't, no harm done.

Likewise for substrate. Charge for what you had to buy, not what you end up using.

Mark up everything you had to buy at least 100%.

The classic rule of thumb for pricing manufactured goods is 5 times the actual material cost. You can use all manner of algorithms but they all, each one, should yield a price in the neighborhood of 5*materials.

OldPaint

i dot understand all this figurein what it cost you wast of time!!!!
#1. YOUR IN BUSINESS TO MAKE MONEY........that where you need to FIGURE....
been doin this since before vinyl cutter and lot longer then since printer now are the production tool.
waste of time figurin out your cost per each 4 x 8 ya make.
i use the square foot calculation method. AND HAVE NEVER LOST MONEY)))
dont care if you print, paint, or vinyl.................
1. AT LEAST double the price of the sub-straight!!! if i cost you $50 charge the customer $100!!!! this is ADDED TO THE PRICE OF THE SQ FT PRICE NOT INCLUDED.
2. its alway worked for me using the number 10........as $10, $20 $30 or $5, half of $10 or $15 $10 + 1/2 added to it.
all of this can be done in your head.so you look smart to the customer)))))
3. 4 X 8= 32 sq ft....................32 sq ft X $10= $320 ! simple 32 sq ft with ZERO...you want to do $15 sq ft?
$320 plus half of $320 = $160. so $320 +$160= $480!!!! you want to give youre stuff away, at $5 sq ft you charge $160.
4. 4 X 8..........material $100..............sign design and applying it to it..........$10 sq ft so $320 + $100= $420.......so there is a great place to start ............IF YOU WANT TO MAKE MONEY...
5. AT $5 SQ FT.........same sign would be $160 +$100=$260......and this would be for the family or another sign guy.

So at 4'x8' my material costs laminated are $17.60 + $42 for the Maxx Metal = $59.60 not including ink.....

$42 for MaxMetal sounds like a sale price. I typically figure my costs at full price, or around $80.00 per sheet. If you get a good buy on it, you shouldn't pass that savings on to your customer, unless perhaps it's a really great customer. Stocking materials when they are on sale is an initial investment that should yield you more profit in the end.

Anyway, taking what Bob said into consideration, based on your figures, you would be at around $300 per sign. In some markets that's perhaps appropriate, but I'm thinking you should at the very least be closer to the $350-400 mark. If you figure your MaxMetal at full cost plus a 100% markup, that would put your price at around $380, which also seems more than reasonable. The truth is, you should be able to charge upwards of $550-600 for a 4x8 sign, but again that all depends greatly on your local market as well as other factors. For a sign with a cast vinyl and laminate applied the $600 mark is definitely not out of the question.

Sidney

Pricing Help Here!!

Hello we have a pricing tool that can help you and because I have over 23 years sign experience we can help you with all the factors involved in your estimate. Please download a free 14 day trial for your sign estimating needs at .....http://graphixcalc.com/gc_downloads.html.

Pat Whatley

$300

Two weeks ago I lost a bid for 10 of them. We bid $180 each (art supplied, just print and stick). The company that is doing them is a printing company that has a flatbed just to offer a bonus to their large printing clients. They are doing the order for $95 per sign. Welcome to the commodity sign market.

By the way, generic polymetal is $45 a sheet all day here.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Since you didn't specify..... after doing the math, I presume this is 1-sided, so in that case, we'd be at $405.00 each. However, that is with a 50% deposit and the balance upon completion, regardless of when they pick it up or not. We don't wait for our money.

Getting 10 or 12 at one time will probably give them a discount.

player

$300

Two weeks ago I lost a bid for 10 of them. We bid $180 each (art supplied, just print and stick). The company that is doing them is a printing company that has a flatbed just to offer a bonus to their large printing clients. They are doing the order for $95 per sign. Welcome to the commodity sign market.

Very sad.

Jillbeans

I don't normally post my prices in the open.
4'x8' alumalite, b-bond etc from my shop uninstalled with cut vynull is around $450
Painted is the same price. I prefer doing those.
But the hacks will do a hideous looking sign that size for under $250.
People only care about the price, not the design or its effectiveness.
But I charge what I charge, and the few who do care come to me.
Love....Jill

Mosh

$300 one sided (3mil max) $450 two sided (6 mil max) ....NOT INSTALLED, Basic layout, any artwork would be extra.