• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help 5 layer sandwich mode printing

ChaseS

Hey all,
I just got a HP 800w this last week. I've been messing around with the 5 layer print mode on Onyx Thrive 21 but I am having some issues. I can get it to work with the same imaged reversed on either side but my customer wants a different image on each side for a double sided window cling. Has anyone gotten this to work?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
It's possible for sure. Prepare your images to final size etc. before importing to onyx and avoid doing any changes. Both images must match exactly 1:1 with each other.

Page 39.

Attachments

• White_Ink_Workflow_Guide_-_HP_Latex_700W__800W__and_R_Series_Printers_2022_04_23.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 432
Last edited:

netsol

interesting...
so i can't center a DIFFERENT IMAGE of a different size on one side?

i can see where the possibility to mirror when you do color-white-color by why can't you have two different size images on each side of a 2 sided sign?

seems odd to me

ChaseS

I suppose you could do 2 different size images. Just make their artboards the same size when you set it up and leave the one image whatever size you want on the larger artboard.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
interesting...

i can see where the possibility to mirror when you do color-white-color by why can't you have two different size images on each side of a 2 sided sign?

seems odd to me
It's just a limitation of the driver and RIP. Part of the process for two sided is handled on the RIP and part on the printer. Apparently it's too complicated and costly to add all the normal features to that (just for two printer models).

But like said, make everything ready first in editor and just hit print in RIP. You can do pretty much what you want, just not in the RIP.

interesting...

seems odd to me
You can (and almost always would) have different images with 5-layer opaque printing.

If they are not the same size, the blockout black layer from the larger side would be visible when viewed from the smaller side. Not a desirable visual.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
You can (and almost always would) have different images with 5-layer opaque printing.

If they are not the same size, the blockout black layer from the larger side would be visible when viewed from the smaller side. Not a desirable visual.
It would be white not black.

netsol

sure, i understand that

ChaseS

For anyone watching this thread, the walk through in the paperwork unfortunately was still not working for me on the 123p 5 layer sandwich mode. I did finally get it to work by selecting "User Select at Print Time". The file option would let me choose another file, but it never wanted to use that selected file.