• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

5000K D50 retrofit lights (or how to see the truth on a budget)

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
We moved into our new premises on April 1st, and I'm working in a basement. I'm kind of picky about colour management, and gave very specific instructions to the lighting contractors about what I needed. Somewhere in the fit out, my 5000K D50 lights got substituted for some very fancy smart, office lights.

As a Brit, with our strong connection to Anglo Saxon language, I explained that what had been installed was a complete and utter load of *B****** B******$, and wasn't what was specced. I'd given them part number, distributor, manufacturer of one type of 5' LED tube.

The Tube needed is to retrofit older Juste Normlicht ISO 3664 proofing luminaires. Two months ago, I got the notification the tubes were shipping, one month ago, that the contractors would be on site (they were, very occasionally). I'd decamped production to a much smaller room, for "only" a week

Today they finished, and after four hours cleaning up, I'm ready to shift the machines back in.

Tubes were £1K for 24, they need 5' flourescent lamp holders. Six banks of independabtly switchable lights, cobers the laminator, printers and 16' of tables without shadow.

They are fucking gorgeous. Not pretty, but the colour is amazing. Flicker free, non dimmable.

Anyone who has an i1, understands profiles, and works away from the average Rochester mid-day sun would benefit.

Can't wait to get the machines back in.

IMG_4907.JPG
IMG_4909.JPG
IMG_4902.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4910.JPG
    IMG_4910.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 24

Boudica

I'm here for Educational Purposes
I'm happy you are finally getting the lights you needed. That room looks really nice - why didn't they finish the floor?

Humble PM

A snafu on the whole lower level of the project. Combination of architect, QS, contractors, budget overuns, and a distracted boss.
All the walls were in, painted etc, and a very tight timeline for move. Fubar'd, but non slip. And a right royal pita to hoover.

Humble PM

The lighting fixtures are standard old school 60" flourescent housings, the tubes are the special ingredient. 5000K is a good start, these just have a really full colour spectrum and meet ISO standards for proofing. We had to order a case of them from China, took a month, but if you want to be able to match calibrated screen to print, they are excellent.

As a bonus, if you eat lunch at your desk, food looks great! And if pizza/ steak/ orange juice/ red wine... looks not great in your work space, then you're not seeing correct colour...