• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

52in Foot Shear

J.Stewart

I'm interested in purchasing a 52in foot shear (King or Craftex Cf) and wondering if anyone has any input on weather it can shear 6mm Aluminum Composite Panels and .080 aluminum?
looking for a convenient way to cut materials in a small sign shop.

netsol

agree with gino
we bought a SAW STOP (it senses flesh,, and doesn't chop off fingers)
this is good because once in a while don has "had a few" before he powers up the saw in the morning and it keeps me from scooping up fingers into a cup of ice (sorry to take the thread off topic) for a trip to the hospital

JBurton

Signtologist
In my experience, .080 is not easy to stomp shear. It all depends on how big a boy y'are. A skilsaw is always nice, but definitely messier. What about something like a keencut?

JBurton

Signtologist
(it senses flesh,, and doesn't chop off fingers)
Do these still essentially self destruct when they have an emergency stop? I recall seeing these 5 or 10 years ago, and while awesome, it didn't sound practical. How are you supposed to know your carpenter is worth a damn if they can't cut a digit off? (I also heard talk of forcing the company to release the patent early and requiring all saws to have such a feature)

netsol

yes, but, it is still much less disruptive than the trip to the hospital
when i was young, i was proud of the fact that i was the only one who left our employer with a full set of 10 fingers

netsol

Do these still essentially self destruct when they have an emergency stop? I recall seeing these 5 or 10 years ago, and while awesome, it didn't sound practical. How are you supposed to know your carpenter is worth a damn if they can't cut a digit off? (I also heard talk of forcing the company to release the patent early and requiring all saws to have such a feature)
it's funny though, i am LEFT HANDED, but have to put up with the little "safety" on the wrong f**king side.of the circular saw
lefties are 10% of the population, yet we have to put up with the "wrong handed" safety device
weatherby sells left handed bolt action rifles, but, i have never come across a left handed (refering to the safety) saw
i know gear reduction saws are left handed, but the stupid safety still comes out the wrong side.
shall i repost this as RANT?

J.Stewart

lol way off topic. I have track saw, tried non faros blades, cuts look like s*** so I'm trying to come up with a better solution. It going to take a little work for the Aluminum but how about the 6mm Aluminum Composite Panels?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Another option is a panel saw with a blade specifically for aluminum. This is what we use. Cuts 3mm, 6mm ACM and aluminum beautifully. I think you want a higher tooth count for clean cuts in soft metals and plastics and maybe a different brand blade might give a better result.
This is the blade we use on our Powermatic panel saw (this model saw is pricey, there are cheaper ones out there, I got it at an auction for stupid cheap)...

netsol

or a fletcher.
we have the head for cutting aluminum,, although we are certainly not a volume shop

find one on ebay/craigslist/offerup/facebook.com/marketplace

d fleming

Panel and table saw for acm is the way to go. As for 080 on a stomp shear, I have a very old 52 inch shear and I'm a big boy. 080 is double tough. takes a synchrinized duo, lol.

JBurton

Signtologist
As for 080 on a stomp shear, I have a very old 52 inch shear and I'm a big boy. 080 is double tough. takes a synchrinized duo, lol.
Finally, some backup!
Gotta love trying to synchronize a stomp. Ok, on three, one-two-three *one guy jumps on three, as the other guy is landing already*
I just walked passed our shear and saw some headphones sitting on it, with the wire hanging off, ready to be cut. Not my problem, but I told the guy about it, and recounted the way I lost my last tape measure...

netsol

when i was like 12 years old, we had 'metal shop" taught by a really cranky old bastard, whose name escapes me
i was probably 128 pounds at the time, but one of the other kids was just under 100
the teacher (cranky old bastard) was trying to get richard to cut a piece of sheet metal, on the brake, which he wasn't heavy enough to do
the teacher finally told him to jump on it. he did, still unable to cut the piece of metal
he SCREAMED something like I SAID JUMP YOU LITTLE F**KING BASTARD and richard did.
this break had 2 metal feet on the bottom of the pedal, kind of like a church pew. one of them impaled the cranky old bastard's foot
the good part of this is that the entire rest of the class joined me, laughing out loud at the teacher, so i wasn't the only one

devdev

Ahhhhhh!
We had a 52" stomp, .080 was almost impossible to cut.
I put a good report together to get a hydraulic shear and it has saved us so much time (and if the CNC goes down, anxiety as well). Well worth the money and install. However if this is going in a garage I am not sure how realistic that would be.