• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

8'x8' Road Signs

Stevealex

I recently had a customer request that I give him a quote on 3 8ft square road signs. Ive never done anything this large and Ive only seen MDO panels come in 4x8 sheets. He also wants me to give a quote for installation as well. What im Wondering is 1) Would 2 4x8 sheets mounted together on 4x4 10' wood posts work well? and 2) Since this is more than what I have previously taken on, can anyone give me an idea what the install rate would be for a project of this size? Thanks

MikePro

i charge the same
...hourly

seam it, and mount a strip of aluminum to the back to keep from separating.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The two MDO 4' x 8's is about your only choice, unless you want to use some other substrate that will cost far more and not be that much more durable, but your going to need a third post down the center or those things are going to boing all over the place. You'll need to go in the ground at least 3 or 4 feet. So, unless your sign is going to sit right on top of the ground.... you do the math.

As for the installation, if this is your first shot at the big stuff.... are you prepared insurance-wise and tool-wise ??

You have to pull permits to start digging around on someone else's property and the first thing they're gonna want to know is if you have insurance to cover you and any helpers you have along with you. If they are part-time, then they'll need their own insurance. If they're subs or part-time employees, you'll need workman's comp and all kinds of other things before you can stick a shovel in the ground.

Don't forget to call the 800-dig number and get all your utilities legally marked.

There's a lot more to it than just pricing up some vinyl, substrates and labor time.

:Oops: Might want to make sure your design will fly by the codes department in case there are any restrictions where you're putting this sign.​

Stevealex

Thx Guys, Ya I thought about the Permit but the client is on a nearbye reservation and he is on the board of government officials and basically said its taken care of and get him the quote. Sounds like I may be better off not handling the intallation portion. Ill do some more reasearch, Thx again

JR's

What Gino said. and there is nothing wrong with hirering or sub the install out to someone that has the tools and insurance and the knowhow. and help and watch and watch and watch and learn.