• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A Question About Blades

theflyingt

Hello.

I am pretty new to the sign/vinyl graphic making world. I am mainly a screen printer, but recently purchased a used vinyl cutter (Enduracut) for doing names and numbers on jerseys, and I've also done a few window stickers and bumper stickers, and vehicle graphics.

My question is, how often does the blade need to be changed in a graphics cutter? And will it cut finer details if it has a sharper blade?

Pat Whatley

Lifespan depends a lot on the material you're cutting. We cut vinyl all day long...typically we get 5-6 months out of a blade. We could probably push it longer but as soon as they start dragging I replace them, blades are cheap. Reflective material will eat them up. I had a job last summer cutting roll after roll of reflective into 2" letters....I was averaging one blade per roll.

Yes, a sharper blade allows you to use less blade pressure which allows you to cut finer details.

Blades are cheap, replace them when it's needed.

DRamm76

Def depends on what you are cutting and how much of the blade you have exposed. You shouldnt have any more than the thickness of a credit card worth of the blade exposed from the holder.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Def depends on what you are cutting and how much of the blade you have exposed. You shouldnt have any more than the thickness of a credit card worth of the blade exposed from the holder.

That's way too much blade sticking out. If you're cutting 2 to 3 mil media the blade only needs to protrude a bit more the .003. Say .004 or .005. If you have the down force properly set the blade will pierce the media but only emboss the backing. No matter how much blade is hanging out of the holder. In theory that is.

The thing that dulls blades the fastest is setting depth and down force such that the blade cuts into the backing. Paper is incredibly abrasive and will take the tip off of a blade in no time at all.

To properly check a blade for sharpness you need a loupe or similar magnifying device. Under the most magnification you can muster look at the tip of the blade. If it comes to an actual point the blade is fine. If the tip is rounded at all and does not come to a sharp point, the blade is dull and probably ought to be replaced.