• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A question for the JV5 and JV33 experts

BoF

When you change ink set ups between ES, SS21 and HS in the firmware does this make a change to the voltage being appied to the head(s) as each of the three inks is diffrent in composition?

thanks

tbaker

I just went through the service manual and didn't see anything regarding head voltage. Since this is something normally input during installation, I doubt the voltage changes by ink type.

Rooster

I just went through the service manual and didn't see anything regarding head voltage. Since this is something normally input during installation, I doubt the voltage changes by ink type.

The head rank is done automatically with the new heads. That's why there's an issue with using non-mimaki heads and whether or not they will update the head rank ID's properly.

So there is still an adjustment made to the voltage of the heads when you switch them out. Whether or not they're changed between ink sets I don't know. I would imagine they would have to change for the channels that use white and/or the silver metallic as they would be a different viscosity. For the regular inks I just don't know. If you had the firmware and knew what to look for in the code, that would be the best place to try and figure it out from.

BoF

What broght this to my notice was that from the MSDS the components of Mimakis ES,HS and SS21 are diffrent. To get the best of of these components one might, in a superwide enviroment, change the voltages/waveform to the head and I wondered if the same was true for wide, especially as on installation the startup procedure asks you to choose which ink type you intend to use.

Rooster

What broght this to my notice was that from the MSDS the components of Mimakis ES,HS and SS21 are diffrent. To get the best of of these components one might, in a superwide enviroment, change the voltages/waveform to the head and I wondered if the same was true for wide, especially as on installation the startup procedure asks you to choose which ink type you intend to use.

It's entirely possible, but the changes would be buried in the firmware code and not something accessible to the end user. The same principals apply between wide format and grand format, so I think your assumption is correct. However that's an assumption and you know how those can work out.