• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A word to the wise

Jim Hill

I have always has a waste paper can placed right under my printer with the ink pump is located and this morning I found it with black ink in it.

I always knew someday day if either the small hose or the pump itself let go it could be a mess.

It's not a bad idea to place a small inexpensive plastic waste can just in case.!!!!!!!!!

Jim

rjssigns

Good tip, but too late for us. Next morning after our printer was delivered and set up I go to turn it on. That's when I noticed ink leaking out of both ends, dripping onto the floor.

MikePro

had same issue with my mimaki. ink pump line split within the mechanism of the pump. there's already an aluminum well beneath it, with a foam sponge, but I didn't know there was an issue until there was approx. 100cc of ink in it and it had overflowed over the weekend, shorting out my takeup reel!

opened up the printer to see what my issue was aaaaaand SPLASH! I got covered in ink as i removed the cover for the ink pump, as did my printer room floor.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We now have a metal one under ours, because we had a plastic one under it and it melted when the jug overflowed due to a malfunction. It also melted the motor end of the take up reel and basically burned the cord off of it, too. We have a nice black HUGE spill mark on the rug to remind us of this event. That and 4' flames really burn my a$$. :Oops:

Jim Hill

Gino

The metal pan sounds like a better idea then plastic can.

Funny thing is I had a newspaper I had been reading and I had put it in the garbage and that newspaper soaked up almost all the ink that leaked.

I also have a carpet under my Roland and without that garbage can sitting there that carpet would have been history.

The drain hose coming off the pump was a little to old and they get soft and easy pull off the nipple.

I replaced the hose and everything is fine but that little plastic garbage can saved my rear so I thought I would pass it along.

Jim