• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

? about Flexi on 2 puters?

Just curious if anyone could tell me if there is a way to "network" or something along those lines to where we could have Flexi on two computers? not nessacarily have the other hooked up to the printer or plotter but so my wife could start messing with Flexi a little bit? We have LXI on it now but it is a little differn't than Flexi and I would like to have Flexi over there and not have to but another $1000 dongle key.
Thanks Vince

myronb

The only way I know is just to swap the dongle(funny word!) back and forth. Flexi used to have a product called FlexiDesigner (I don't know if they still do) I think it ran about $500 & had all the features of FlexiPro but you couldn't plot from it.

Thanks myronb,
Sounds like alot of money just let my wife try to learn Flexi but my be worth it, I didn't know if maybe a person could connect them wirelessly maybe???? I don't know a whole lot about that stuff.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Vinny's Sign Shack said:
Just curious if anyone could tell me if there is a way to "network" or something along those lines to where we could have Flexi on two computers? not nessacarily have the other hooked up to the printer or plotter but so my wife could start messing with Flexi a little bit? We have LXI on it now but it is a little differn't than Flexi and I would like to have Flexi over there and not have to but another $1000 dongle key.
Thanks Vince

I do exactly this each and every day. You can install and run Flexi on any computer in a network as long as the Production Manager is running on the machine that has the hasp key installed. The only caveat is that Flexi will only allow one iteration of itself to be running at one time. I.e. only one machine in the network can be running Flexi at any one time.

If you already have the machines networked then you're alrealdy there. I did not, so I put a wireless network card in each of a pair of computers and set them up to run in ad hoc network mode. On each machine I shared the C: drive and on each machine did a 'Map Network Drive' to the C: drive on the other machine. Voila, one virtual machine.

As and added feature I installed VNC [Virtual Network Computer], free from a number of sites, and can also bring up the desktop from one machine on the other. Thus all I have to do is turn on the machine with the hasp key. If I need to start Production Manager to enable Flexi I can do it form the the remote machine. Just bring up the desktop of the hasp key machine on the remote machine and start Production Manager.

Now I have a broad band connection to three machines through a router and I should be able to get rid of the wireless cards. That's 'should' because I reached the limit of my expertise with networking long before I could set this up and apparently I'm going to have to hire someone to set it up for me or explain why it cannot be done.

myronb

Bob, Can you run the VPN & the original computer at the same time? In other words: Can I use flexi on my computer and you run another instance of flexi from your computer through the VPN?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
myronb said:
Bob, Can you run the VPN & the original computer at the same time? In other words: Can I use flexi on my computer and you run another instance of flexi from your computer through the VPN?

No. Flexi is anal about a single, as in just one, iteration of itself running anywhere on the network. In this case network is defined as all the machines that are running off a single hasp key on one of them. Flexi enforces 'One hasp key, one iteration.'

jayhawksigns

What Bob is talking about will work just fine. Just have to make sure that the copy of Flexi is closed on your computer before your wife tries to load it and you will be fine.

Kind of defeats the purpose I think, may just have to get another dongle key.
(I feel dirty when I type dongle key!)
Thanks guys I new if there was a way to do it you all would know.