• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Add chisel/prismatic effect to ANY font?

Ken

How do you do this?
Ok..it won't work for every font.
I am thinking of printed output here, but if you know of a way to do this for cut-vinyl, that works..great!
Thanks in advance...Ken

iSign

how do you do it? You DRAW it!

It's hard to explain in words only, but
study any prismatic font, and you will see that establishing a center line is half the battle. Then at each termination of a line, the centerline splits to each corner. At each intersection or bend, centerlines run to the corners. On round sections, there is an "s-curve" of sorts that occurs on a common axis that defines where light will no longer reach a section.

I've seen articles in sign mags years ago... long before bevel effects were used in software, and I'm sure you can search out tutorials like that.

Years ago I hand drew the vector paths that create a prismatic look in Avant Garde, for my own logo. Once you understand the principal, it's not that hard.

You can use software tricks, but for cut vinyl, you should simply draw your own.

Ken

Thanks D.
I'm not really expecting a silver bullet here. I guess the light source is the BIG THING with this. Not only the angle..but the elevation as well. Putting a gradient into the chiselled areas is what I was wondering about..among other things. I've seen some very nice stuff. Little sparkles, shadows..etc. It is interesting to me.
Cheers!
Ken

iSign

OK, I see now that you mentioned both printing AND cut vinyl. I still think if you know how to vectorize the chisel effect, it's a valuable tool... but not worth the time and trouble most of the time. For printing, the bevel effects in eye candy plug-ins, or layer styles in photoshop can give you pretty good results.

I bought the "race pak 1" from The Fontry it gives you the vector paths & you can add gradients easily.

Steve C's "SignFonts" has some good ones too... as well as SignDNA.

Ken

Thanks George..I'm not fearing perfection..but I will check out that link..thanks..Ken

weaselboogie

I have done by hand and also used photoshop. To make a VECTOR bevel in photoshop, it's kinda a hack job, but it works. You don't get as clean as if you were to do it by hand. I'll take the lettering into photoshop, do a bevel and then threshold it til its completely black and white. You will just have the bevel now. Drag this back into your vector program and convert it ( Corel > auto trace ) . Overlay this over your original text.
And its all vector...

Attachments

• tuscora.jpg
    tuscora.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 199
As iSign says, the ability to make your own beveled/prismatic fonts can be an extremely valuable tool - but the bigger question lies in "who is willing to pay for you to do it?".

There are far too many collections out there that most customers would be more than willing to jump on - making your job a lot easier by charging them the customary $200 for a needed font (at least that is what we do and never recieved a complaint yet.)

Before you say that this does not answer your question :biggrin:, you could start with the following method of making multiple copies (usually three to four), offsetting each individual copy and using your weld/subtract tools. This with some of the tips from LHF and SignCraft will help you trim and adjust your vectors to finish it out....still a major PITA (IMO)

totalimage

Can you show me/us examples of YOUR work??? I enjoy seeing and learning from other peoples talent.

As iSign says, the ability to make your own beveled/prismatic fonts can be an extremely valuable tool - but the bigger question lies in "who is willing to pay for you to do it?".

There are far too many collections out there that most customers would be more than willing to jump on - making your job a lot easier by charging them the customary $200 for a needed font (at least that is what we do and never recieved a complaint yet.)

chopper

by hand is the only way it looks right in my opinion I have tried the eye candy
and the photo shop effects, but I always seem to end up just applying it my self, here is an example of one that I have done, it was printed on reflective and really looked cool, I left off the phone number which went at the bottom of the logo so it kinda looks funny with out it //chopper

Last edited:

Steve C.

I find my method simpler, others may not agree. I start with an inline
contour of the letters, then manipulate the control points to form the chisel.
I don’t pay much attention to precise centering of the lines, I just do it
optically. Sometimes mathematical measurements don’t look right. This method also keeps all chisel shapes as one piece for easier weeding.

For gradiants, one easy way is to create a fill from dark to light on the base
and then just flip it on the chesel part.

sorry, the third step is shown twice. but you get the idea.....

Attachments

• chisels.jpg
    chisels.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 178

weaselboogie

I find my method simpler, others may not agree. I start with an inline
contour of the letters, then manipulate the control points to form the chisel.
I don’t pay much attention to precise centering of the lines, I just do it
optically. Sometimes mathematical measurements don’t look right. This method also keeps all chisel shapes as one piece for easier weeding.

I've done it that way before also. Much easier than creating new AS LONG AS there aren't 1000 nodes. Makes for an easier vinyl application also. You have a nice consistent outline around the shadow.

Steve C.

I've done it that way before also. Much easier than creating new AS LONG AS there aren't 1000 nodes. Makes for an easier vinyl application also. You have a nice consistent outline around the shadow.

Right, I should have added that the program you use should be node friendly.
You can do an Auto Reduce in Corel that make it easier. If you try this with
Flexi you may go MAD.

S

Sign-Man Signs

Ken, I use a program for a guy called MR Chisel Sign Fonts. Breaks it down into separations for color and change. If you can't find it, shoot me an email and I may have an extra copy I purchased.