• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adding thermal printing to my arsenal of weapons, although the safety is still on.:D

JonMiller

Hi Gang,

I have a large format inkjet and have demand (and can also see the opportunities) for the things that the edge can do.
So I now have an Edge FX running Omega 5.0 and the switchover from my mindset of using the inkjet and illustrator to the edge and omega is quite a harsh one.
If any experienced edge/omega users are able to help, I wouldn't be able to thank you enough..

I have managed to print some decals ok..a simple 3 colour logo. - bottom green layer, then a solid chrome layer, black, then chrome layer. The edge just seemed to automatically do both chrome layers at the same time, leaving a negative area where it then came back in and added the black. (pic attached)

The other graphic I tried was a little more complex in the fact that it had a drop/soft shadow in it..
I have managed to get it to print the shadow (expanded the shadow in illustrator and saved off a jpeg - have also converted the 'shadow' vector shape in to a soft shadow in omega by using the convert to image and gaussian blur) along with another layer but the results seems a tad random in the way it lays the graphics. It also doesn't seem to want to divide the graphic up in to sections like it did with the other logo. It seems to either print the whole shape and then lay the others completely over the top or only prints the smallest portion of it.

Hopefully that makes some form of sense and if any of you would be so kind as to help out in my issue I can gladly supply the test files for you to examine.

Kind Regards,

Jon

Attachments

• edge1.JPG
    edge1.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 88
  • edge2.JPG
    edge2.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Bike Panel spot.jpg
    Bike Panel spot.jpg
    652.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Bike Panel.jpg
    Bike Panel.jpg
    576.2 KB · Views: 83

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Learning how to setup a job for Edge printing can be confusing and is best dealt with a little at a time. If you want to send your files to me at fred@signs101.com, I'll be happy to look them over and offer suggestions. Please be sure to include any added images such as the shadow you mention (or embed the image) for best results.

JonMiller

That would be fantastic Fred, thank you!

I am just going out the door but shall fire them over to you later this evening/tomorrow morning.

Kind regards,

Jon

JonMiller

Just wanted to thank Fred for helping out and providing some great advice.

I still have a massive way to go obviously but have been having a play about with choke/spread,backings etc and concentrating on working out how to create/lay the graphics out to work correctly in the first place as opposed to trying to make my inkjet vectors work. Finding new shortcuts and stuff and seem to at least be making some sort of progress, finally..
Even managed to bosh out some decals and as well as the edge, I have made some progress on working with my new cutter which was also giving me some grief.

Now I'm not sure whether to just stick with cutting my edge decals out on the Graphtec or try to get the EnVision dialed in...
It would be handy for runs of more simple shaped decals though. I'm just not convinced on its accuracy though! but perhaps it is just like the other things and it needs dialing in as well as me getting to know it :)

PS. I thought the Gerber section of the site was quite small but have just noticed the 'search threads by date' or similar down the bottom and there is plenty.
No doubt I shall be trawling though it all at some point :D

Kind regards,

Jon

Attachments

• IMG_1808.JPG
    IMG_1808.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1807.JPG
    IMG_1807.JPG
    308.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1806.JPG
    IMG_1806.JPG