• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Address verbage on doors in NYC letter height

fmg

Hi.
Quick question please.
I forgotten what the height is for the lettering to be on the van doors in NYC 3" or is it 5"
Thanks for the heads up.

Typestries

Funny this came up. I have a client with 180+ (lost count) vans in the 5 boroughs. We initially put 3" letters on the vans. Guess what, they were getting tickets! They (NYC) were measuring EACH letter on the van, and a few were an 1/8th under. No joke, they got HUNDREDS of tickets. We changed every van to 4" letters!

CanuckSigns

Funny this came up. I have a client with 180+ (lost count) vans in the 5 boroughs. We initially put 3" letters on the vans. Guess what, they were getting tickets! They (NYC) were measuring EACH letter on the van, and a few were an 1/8th under. No joke, they got HUNDREDS of tickets. We changed every van to 4" letters!

Sounds like this rule is quite the profit centre for the city...

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.

This is why you set your letter height using flat-topped & flat-bottomed letters first, then proceed to enter the entire text.

Also, remember that in most fonts, the numbers are smaller than the upper-case letters by a little bit, so numbers have to be sized separately.