• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adhesive for Metal Letter Install On Exterior Tile Wall

Billct2

I am quoting a job for 14" brushed metal finish numbers, either cast or fabricated, not flat. The exterior wall they are going on is large Italian tiles, they look and feel like smooth stone, but are only a 1/4" thick. I would rather not drill in this stuff, but is there and adhesive that could be used with 14" metal letters that will be strong enough to hold them and work in this weather (I'm in CT).
Thanks in advance for any experience or suggestions.

John Butto

good advice

14" metal letters I wouldn't trust just chemical fasteners.
That is going to be a heavy letter (14") if it is cast, all your weight of the letter is going downward and would not trust VHB tape with silicone with temp changes and being outside.

Marlene

14" metal letters I wouldn't trust just chemical fasteners.

me either. the cast won't have much area on the back to stick to anything as it is mostly hollow so you might be able to pad mount them but still, that isn't a lot of area to hold a 14" cast metal letter.

I'd do as Mosh suggested and stud at least two per letter. check with the tile people as to what kind of drill would work best so you don't crack the tile. we had to put up a sign on marble and hired someone who works with stone to do the drilling. you might want to check into that too.

Billct2

It's tile, whether it's man made or natural I don't know but it's hard as heck. We tried some tile bits and masonry bits on a sample and they barely dented it.

What about flat plate letters...do you think they could be installed with VHB and silicone?

Marlene

What about flat plate letters...do you think they could be installed with VHB and silicone?

at 14", they are going to weigh too much I think. if you have a sample of the tile, find a local stone mason and see if they can drill the holes. we have them around here and it is a good idea to at least see what they can do and how much it adds to the job. if the letters come down, you will be in big do do. do you know what is behind that tile? wood, concrete or steel?

Moze

Precision Sign Services
It's tile, whether it's man made or natural I don't know but it's hard as heck. We tried some tile bits and masonry bits on a sample and they barely dented it.

The quick answer: Yes. Would I want to install 14" letters without a stud or two? No. I would always worry. That being said, if you use VHB and silicone - it would take a lot to remove them. But I would still worry.

That being said, I would use a little 1-minute epoxy as well. If you use silicone, it's going to become a permanent part of the tile anyway and always be visible if the letters are removed (unless the tile is dark and the silicone blends in). So I don't think stud-mounting the letters is really going to be less "destructive" than using silicone.

Billct2

I've asked the building owner if
A) drilling holes is really acceptable to them
and
B) If it is what does the manufacturer/supplier recommend for drilling

I'm also going to suggest metallic silver plastic letters instead, which I would
feel more comfortable using a pad mount with.

Marlene

I've asked the building owner if
A) drilling holes is really acceptable to them
and
B) If it is what does the manufacturer/supplier recommend for drilling

I'm also going to suggest metallic silver plastic letters instead, which I would
feel more comfortable using a pad mount with.

all really good ideas. check into a brushed laminated HDU letter as it is lighter weight and still has the brushed look on the face. you can paint the sides silver or black.