• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adobe Cs2

vinylbarry

OK I have adobe cs2 and we design allot of billboards and I cannot get adobe to let me say make a 282" wide by 120" tall design area is there a way to correct this or make this work?
I do have Corel and it lets me make what ever size area I need I wish I could in Adobe because I know that better.

Thanks

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
In Illustrator you are limited to a 200 inch x 200 inch artboard. If the design is pure vector just create it at 50% size and do the final scaling in your RIP.

vinylbarry

Most the time it is 100% pure vector sometimes with images and I thats how I normally do it is scale down then back up, but i really wish adobe would have not done that did they not know people design allot bigger things and I like design in full scale gives me a better look or feel for the design.

Does any of the new adobes have a larger design scale??

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
What gives me a better look or feel for the design is some scale reference like a scale person or a car. Otherwise, your looking at the same graphic scaled or full size on the screen...

Around here, in order to get permits, we have to design to a scale (either architectural or engineer) in order to do that, I use the CadTools plug-in.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
What Rick said. Think about it... you are looking at almost every design that is larger than your screen in a reduced size. Unless you are designing business cards, notecards or a standard piece of paper, every design is scaled down visually.

vinylbarry

I do that to for permits and examples and sales sheets but when I do a billboard I like to do it full size first espicially if your using images helps with pix to see if a image is going to work good or not. If you for example make a box with a outline in a diff. color say on small its 5pts and on the full size its 80pts. It dont always scale up the same in pts.
I will just have to get better on corel guess to do what I won't.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I was gonna type an elaborate answer... but I'm thinking you are just not gonna get it.

vinylbarry

Rick lol I do get it 1000000%. I totally understand scale it thats how I do it now and have for 5 years. But heres another example if I have to send the file to someone for approval and they say they want it full scale zip file or on a CD overnight(and yes they ask this allot). I cant do that in adobe and yes they do ask for it full scale for there print company at times.
You know I have had a head cold for about 10 days so maybe I ain't getting it and not thinking straight.

natedawg9640

tell them to get a new print company... casue anyone who is a print company should know what the term "half scale" means and they should be able to scale it accordingly. you're kicking a dead harse becasue adobe made it that way, and nothing is going to change that untill they make it a different way. i wish i would have won that megamillion jackpot... but i didn't.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I do that to for permits and examples and sales sheets but when I do a billboard I like to do it full size first espicially if your using images helps with pix to see if a image is going to work good or not. If you for example make a box with a outline in a diff. color say on small its 5pts and on the full size its 80pts. It dont always scale up the same in pts.
I will just have to get better on corel guess to do what I won't.

In the preferences dialog box check "scale stroke and effects".

Also unless the print company is using Corel they would have the same issue. Every version of Illustrator has a size limit. Not sure why Illustrator has adopted this limitation unless their thought is the same... work in scale