• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advertising advice

DVMike

Hi all !
I am new to this site and by no means know everything there is to know about anything in the buisness.

But I thought I would share some successes and failures with you on advertising my sign buisness .
I have tried about everything! But heres a fairly breif over view of the most success.

-When I started advertising (when a hobby became a buisness), I had flyers and cards printed. I then mailed them, to municipalities, buisnesses etc ,and put alot of leg work in. The results were pretty good , but it requires time, and working by myself I had little of it.
I would sell a few jobs and while completing them nothing was being done in advertising . back and forth.
- As the buisness grew I joined the local Chamber of commerce. A chamber will not push your buisness unless you are a member, but it's very reasonable to join. (Usually between $100-$500 depending on the size of your city/town) My buisness just added the 4th Chamber of Commerce in my area. That will get you automatic consideration for municipal projects as well....which can be big money !

I am presently advertising on a sports talk radio show. The spots are 30 seconds long, at $55 per spot, and 5 days per week,during rush hour. This comes to $1,320 per month and usually requires a 3 month contract minimum. But dont expect any major returns for at least 10 -13 weeks because doing radio requires that your spot be heared in repetition. But in the end it will likely pay off. I do suggest sports talk ,or political shows as the clients you reach are a broader range.

By far the Chamber of Commerce memberships have been the biggest bang for the buck, to this point. But it is cyclical and may change.

But BY FAR the best advertising is free. It's word of mouth. So always give the customer great quality at a reasonable price and your buisness will grow .

Hope this has been helpful. And in case you haven't noticed the first thing that usually fails on my computers is the keyboard !! :ROFLMAO:

Craig Sjoquist

Welcome to a outstanding forum and people.

Yes I can agree with you in some of what you say Chamber of Commerce , is a good choice for many businesses and yes this does put you in bigger spotlight where the larger and better paying jobs are indeed.

I wonder if you have any art, commercial design, advertising design, or sign schooling ??
or how many years have you worked for a sign or advertising co. ??

I agree with the best advertising is free, I'm currently enjoying sales because of weekly and steady.