• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advice for Polyester shirts and heat presses

Stormyj

Just another guy
Hi all,
I am doing some shirts for a customer and she wanted to use the poly shirts that are jersey material. Polyester and it has the little holes in it like a foot balljersey. Im am using Stahls printable film for the shirts but am worried about the shirts being damaged when heat pressed. Should I be? any advice? Also, applying the film to the shirts where the holes are in the material just seems to me like its going to look crappy. The top portion of the shirts do not have the holes, but the bottom portion does. Advice on this? Thanks guys and girls.
Jim

Material is like this, but white.

20059171016007236265_mesh_fabric.jpg

Last edited:

klingsdesigns

I had a customer that needed something like this and i got them screen printed i didnt know what would happen if i tried to press material on it.

Stormyj

Just another guy
Ive watched a couple of videos on Stahls website and it looks like you can just heat apply direct to garment. They do it with regular heat applied vinyl with no problems. Im just wondering about the printable stuff. And worried about melting the garment. Thrift store here i come for test garments. :)

mfatty500

You can use heat press on them, but if you have a teflon pillow, i would put it in between, so that the adhesive does not stick to the backside of the shirt, or piece of cardboard or an old t-shirt.

Stormyj

Just another guy
You can use heat press on them, but if you have a teflon pillow, i would put it in between, so that the adhesive does not stick to the backside of the shirt, or piece of cardboard or an old t-shirt.

Thx for the info

Dennis422

Do not worry about heat.
Sublimation is applied @400 degrees for 40 seconds. No damages to the shirts whatsoever.

rjssigns

Imprintables Warehouse has the perforated material for your application. Not exactly sure about lining up the holes though.

Mike_Koval

you'll have no problem with heat pressing...as other say just put a tefon sheet, pillow or thread the heat press with the garment to avoid it sticking to the other side of jersey

BESTBLANKS

Heat transfer vinyl on mesh shirt fabric

Hi all,
I am doing some shirts for a customer and she wanted to use the poly shirts that are jersey material. Polyester and it has the little holes in it like a foot balljersey. Im am using Stahls printable film for the shirts but am worried about the shirts being damaged when heat pressed. Should I be? any advice? Also, applying the film to the shirts where the holes are in the material just seems to me like its going to look crappy. The top portion of the shirts do not have the holes, but the bottom portion does. Advice on this? Thanks guys and girls.
Jim

Material is like this, but white.

View attachment 98716

Hi, Perhaps we can be of help. For this type of fabric you will want to use ThermoFlex® Sport Heat Transfer Vinyl. It is engineered for lettering open-mesh athletic uniform shirts.
You can learn more about it here: http://www.bestblanks.com/thermoflexsport.html

To see the complete line of heat transfer vinyl that is for all applications including the one above please see this page: http://www.bestblanks.com/vinyl.html

If we can be of further help please give us a call at 888-431-7385 or 954-989-1250

Thanks for your post!
www.BestBlanks.com

Trip59

The teflon/foam pillow can be awesome for avoiding the press box, if the design is smaller, use a smaller pillow to where it doesn't extend to the edge of the platen and it helps even more. The other benefit is that it will keep the adhesive from sticking through the holes to the back of the shirt. Depending on the purpose, Stahls has a number of films with various attributes that are suited to polyester. Our normal go-to is Premium Plus, but there are both thicker and thinner materials. The thickness of the material will affect how it looks over the areas with the holes, something like Thermofilm will minimize their appearance, whereas superfilm will most likely stick a bit to the inner edges and emphasize them. One nice thing about some of their films is the low temp application. We've done Premium Plus (standard med/firm at 320* all the way down to a medium pressure at 280-300* with success and longevity (lower the temp, less appearance of the box on synthetics).

If you work with Stahls materials a good bit, call them up and ask to be put in touch with your regional rep, ours has been awesome and invaluable when we've crossed into unfamiliar applications. Not that the folks at their 800 number aren't, but our rep has been doing it for decades and has worked with other companies in the past, lots of experience to draw from and stories and info they can relate from what other shops have done and encountered.