• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advice on Freelance

Graphicholik3

Welcome !

Bump your prices way up . . . If your a six year designer you should be more like :

Package 1 . . . $500.00
Package 2 . . . $850.00
Package 3 . . . $1200.00
the Total Package . . . $1650.00

Don't sell yourself short . . . You're sell your experince and your customers brand/image.

It's worth a lot more than you've got priced on your site . . . !

I agree! For six years of expierence your prices are way too low. That's where the ol' saying "You get what you pay for" comes into play! & all the low prices do are low ball the whole graphic design market so people don't value our time as much. You are killing the market!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
If you are going to be a true freelanceer (design through a third party) then you need to establish a policy of copyright, contracts and process.

Freelancing is a sticky situation when it comes to showing of your work. If a sign company hires you to design something for thier company, then they usually want to have all the rights..where does that leave your portfolio, there needs to be a balance of shared promotional rights...or you have to get paid more for handing over all rights....without a portfolio, how can you market yourself? You need to develope a contract that spells it all out so there is no second guessing when problems arise.

The other thing is process. It's hard enough designing for a real customer...try adding the filter of a sign shop who is relaying that information. Hourly makes more sense since you should not be held responsible for someone translating the job wrong. I use a creative brief that takes a lot of the guessing away.

Since freelancing is wholesale design work, you might want to think about a site for freelancing and one for your design shop. You dont want a client stumbling into your wholesale part asking why they don't get that break.

A good book is "Talent is not Enough: Business Secrets for Designers" by Shel Perkins.

The bulk of my work is freelance where I have no rights of promotion...not that I care to much since it's mostly code signage and not much to it. I charge enough for that inconvenience, you need to get a balance of paying customers and freelance to keep the portfolio updated.

Gino brings up a great point on showing work you did at another company. I think every freelancer has had to do that at one point, but it's something you need to stay away from or replace that work with something from your company as soon as possible. Stating in your resume is fine though. If you do not have "real" work you can show. Make it up. You are showing your talents...made up work is a demonstration of that talent you are trying to sell, then you can replace it with real work as work comes in.