• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advice on re-attatching HDU panels

Bay&Lake

I was called out to attach a new sign to a pre existing sign but after looking at the sign currently in place I noticed that the two HDU panels had separated from each other on one side. Looks to be metal cross beams with routed out channel in signs, then glued back to back. From close inspection it looks like the glue never made contact with the opposing face as theres no smears or squeeze out, just a solid bead. Also no screws or brackets involved so I notified the business that if the remaining glue fails there's nothing stopping the two sides of their signs from just falling off. Question I have is whats the best way to fix this? Am i able to just clean out some of the debris between the two panels, gorilla glue, clamp and call it a day? Looking for any advice on this as i'm still relatively new in the HDU field. Also apologize in advance for the quality of photos attached... it was a negative windchill and wanted very badly to not be up on a ladder lol

Attachments

• IMG_7094.jpg
    IMG_7094.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_7098.jpg
    IMG_7098.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 86

Signarama Jockey

Not sure how long that HDU has been up, so the footpads of your clamp might do more damage than you expect, but you could always spread the pressure out with some wood on either side of the sign to hold it in place. That'll spread out the pressure and avoid scarring the sign. Hard to get an idea of the scale you're working with here, but if it's a chonker, you might be dealing with a lot of resistance from the material wanting to stay like it is.

Yeah, I'd say apply a healthy amount of glue and then clamp down some boards. Let it cure and then do whatever touch-ups you need. "Two best glues to use when gluing High Density Urethane are polyurethane (urethane) glue and epoxy resin glue. The most popular urethane glue on the market is the original Gorilla Glue." Not the wood glue.

You'll have to leave your hardware on site for a day or so. Oh, and it it's cold out there, that might affect the drying time of the adhesive you use. But other than that, I think that'll do ya.

Last edited:

Bay&Lake

Not sure how long that HDU has been up, so the footpads of your clamp might do more damage than you expect, but you could always spread the pressure out with some wood on either side of the sign to hold it in place. That'll spread out the pressure and avoid scarring the sign. Hard to get an idea of the scale you're working with here, but if it's a chonker, you might be dealing with a lot of resistance from the material wanting to stay like it is.

Yeah, I'd say apply a healthy amount of glue and then clamp down some boards. Let it cure and then do whatever touch-ups you need. "Two best glues to use when gluing High Density Urethane are polyurethane (urethane) glue and epoxy resin glue. The most popular urethane glue on the market is the original Gorilla Glue." Not the wood glue.

You'll have to leave your hardware on site for a day or so. Oh, and it it's cold out there, that might affect the drying time of the adhesive you use. But other than that, I think that'll do ya.
Perfect. I believe the sign has only been up for a 3-4 years. Its a 6'x4', little bit of warp but i think the clamps should pull it just fine. Planning on waiting til temps warm up and leaving it clamped over the weekend when the business is closed.

Thanks for your help.