• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ahhhhh.... where'd he go now...................... ??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Over the years, this has happened a few times, but it just happened about a week ago to me, again. Has this happened to any of you, and if so, how do you handle such things ??

Had a long time customer [about 28 years] who has gotten things from banners to trucks lettered to site signs and even his main sign. In that time, we've become good friends and have talked about many things. Saw him about a week ago at a function, not long after he bought another large sign. About $3,500 worth of a sign. He was happy with it and all, but said he had to tell me something.

He got me aside, told me he feels bad about this, but he had gone elsewhere to get another sign made. The other shop's price was less than mine and he said I was overpriced. I laughed and said, there's someone for everyone's taste. No harm, if you wanna go to him from now on, we'll still be friends and all. No-no, you got it all wrong. Ya see, I had him do a sign for me and I wasn't thrilled with it and then had him letter a truck for me. It was Okay, but I found so many things wrong with it, that, I don't know what to do ?? He told me he'd fix things and make them right, but he's batting 1,000 now. That's why I came back to you for my big sign.
I met this guy at a party and we got to talking and I said what I do and he said what he did and I thought, I'd give him a try, since he said he was so much cheaper than you. I never thought about craftsmanship and professionalism. I just thought that was standard practice in everyone's business.

Well, thanks, but if price is what you're interested in, then we can lower our standards and use lesser quality products, let little mistakes get through and you'll be happy, right ?? No, you have it all wrong. Would you mind correcting my truck, even though you didn't do it ?? Sure and to show there's no hard feelings, I'll remove the old stuff from the other guy for nothing. You just pay me to do it right, Okay ?? You gotta deal.

Ya gonna go looking elsewhere again ??

Nooooo...... I learned my lesson.

So, how many of you have had this or something similar happen where you felt perhaps your customer was unloyal or sneaking around behind your back ??

It happens more than you know or think. Why ?? Because some people are out there looking for business, schmoozing, networking and everything else to get more work. They're still hungry and promising the moon to get work. They don't care if they steal it from you or me, just so long as they get work. With this in mind, remember, ya never stop selling or pleasing your customers. Just when ya think ya have 'em in your pocket, they might jump ship and the sea breeze might be gentler on the other ship.

Gino :wink:

SignManiac

It's happened to me countless times. And I understand the customer falling for it. I've had my customers tell me that a new guy in town said he could do what I do for half the price. Of course they can if they don't have to design anything and just copy my work. But the real kicker is when the client ask me for my file to give the other guy. You should hear the laughter on my end. Yeah right, I'd really give up my files. But just to make the customer happy, I give them a 42k .jpg of the art and say, let them have at it :)

Just life. Everyone wants a deal but if it sounds too good to be true, it usually isn't. You get what you pay for.

iSign

Yep, you're right about how we should never assume we have anyone's future biz already in our pocket...

As for the hungry new guy networking, and not caring if he's "stealing"...

...refer back to the above! Future biz is not yours, and anyone marketing for it is not stealing... it's business! (Lying and low balling are not being excused here... just accepting our competitions right to marketing and networking to anyone they can reach)

Billct2

Yea I've heard about "no client is ever stolen.." and "no client is forever..."
I've had a few actually admit going elsewhere, and usually they weren't happy.
But I'm not the only sign shop that does good work around here, so it's on me to keep the regulars happy
and try to impress the new ones. Doesn't always happen, but I try.
The ones I love are the ones that were fired because they were PITA price shoppers and after they've gone through
the other shops end up back here...no memory or conscience, or neither.

Marlene

yep, had it happen too. the thing is I don't totally blame them. how many of us either in business or personal life have tried a new supplier or service? it may have been for price, closer to home or whatever reason.

fresh

We have (or maybe had) a client who is ALWAYS looking for the best price. Honestly, they are a company that if you live or have visited the northern half of the Jersey Shore, you probably know who they are. They have multiple stores, are a household name, etc.

So we started doing work for them, and its always the same thing. They have tons of ****ty signs, which were ****ty because they are so cheap. I've convinced them on multiple occasions to splurge on better materials, but its exhausting. They also have no loyalty, I know of at least 4 other local sign shops that they've done business with, concurrently with us. But guess who they give the most annoying jobs to because we pay attention to detail, use the best materials, etc. You guessed it.

Anyway, this summer I had it. They wanted me to match an insane price on window perf ($2.50 sq ft INSTALLED), and I said no. So they went to the other guy, and guess what? They used 50/50, (we've used 70/30 for them in the past) the copy has very little contrast, and it looks a mess. They also re-did a bunch of their lightbox signs, and they all look like crap because the graphics were printed using only 1 layer. So at night they look completely washed out. Bravo.

Its really tiring thinking about the clients who need swaddling and convincing to pay a fair price, I've slowly been letting these energy drains go away. Perhaps they will come back, but I sure hope not.

threeputt

Agree that even though we may "claim" a certain client as ours, we have no holds on them or their future business.

My shop is in a fairly small market so we notice all the new signs going up. Occasionally one of "our" clients gets a new one, but not from us.

We scratch our heads and wonder why, but hey, who of us hasn't tried a new______________? (fill in the blank) Hair stylist, restaurant, mechanic, whatever.

Best you can do is be modest and not "gloat" when they come back to your shop and want some additional work. (keep lip buttoned, they probably now know there's other things than price. ie: quality, service, etc.)

Also, agree that any thing you can do to insure repeat business is probably a worthwhile pursuit. (bonus decals, little extra something, etc.)

Final note: Remember clients switch to new vendors for reasons other than being unhappy with your shop. Sometimes they play golf with a guy, go to church with a guy, or in some way meet your competitor and want to trade with him/her for some reason. Wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Z SIGNS

Yup happens to everyone.

I just had a 25 year customer shop our latest project.He took our sketch to another shop looking for a price.
Luckily the other shop was a friend of mine who called me and asked how much I was asking for the job so he could quote it much higher.

He tacked on a couple grand and the customer came running to my shop with the deposit.

I felt a little awkward when he showed up.I never said a word to him about knowing he was shopping my pricing.
I just took his money and made the signs

Every new customer was some one else's loyal customer.

I have fired more than I have had turn on me though.

Matter of fact saying no and firing customers is my favorite pastime.It makes me feel good.

When I am approached by price shoppers and tire kickers(I can smell them from a mile away)
I let them know they have come to the wrong place and tell them to feel free to back when you can afford something"nice"

When I say no to the tire kickers and price shoppers I am freeing myself up to focus on the good projects.

I only wish I had learned this a long time ago.