• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ai files to Corel Draw

Biker Scout

Agreed... customer supplied art gets rasterized, just as a rule of thumb. They have to proof and sign a small print of that as well.

Unless I create the file in a manner that I know that works with my RIP and color profiles. But 99% of the time I get web sized .jpegs and the client almost always wants a billboard out of it too... :banghead:

And yes, from time to time, I'll export a file directly out of InDesign as a .jpeg, and just print it. But it has to be a real crap/rush job. Something designed at 1:1 and I take the file and just RIP it. But most of the time I try to adhere to the .eps file format. Even .pdf's don't print well on my RIP. Rasterize those just to be safe.

jc1cell

But 99% of the time I get web sized .jpegs and the client almost always wants a billboard out of it too...
But most of the time I try to adhere to the .eps file format. Even .pdf's don't print well on my RIP. Rasterize those just to be safe.

Yes and Yes.

RRP

Is there a way to flatten your design in Illustrator? Some times our designs are to big to send to him through the internet even if we pdf them?

Thank everyone for all your help!

Biker Scout

Flattening is generally referred to in raster programs. However, you can sort of flatten your effects (if you've applied any) though the transparency flattener preference.

I guess you could merge layers, combine art, use the pathfinder to merge portions of unnecessary overlap. Reduce the number of nodes etc...

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Is there a way to flatten your design in Illustrator? Some times our designs are to big to send to him through the internet even if we pdf them?

Thank everyone for all your help!

I always thought that flattening would make the file larger. I don't recall or have one to test but when I save down to lower ai/eps files they become unmanageable in size. Usually the original version with effects left intact seem smaller. But to make the file interoperable between programs you have no choice

Maybe use a service like yousendit, sendthisfile or dropbox works for large files

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
As others have said. Rule of thumb should be to raster and export. Otherwise try to have a copy of corel on YOUR system to anticipate any problems in advance and learn to design for corel or find another sign shop. Sadly most shops will import into flexi to print which is about the same as having them step on your manhood to achieve greatness.

when it comes to importing into corel from illustrator, convert to version 8, convert all strokes to outlines and expand out any and ALL gradients. If you are lucky the color profile will still be the same imported in and all of your design should look reasonably close (gradients will have some posterization ... but that will be expected in this process.)

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I don't think I'd trust a print vendor that didn't have Adobe CS. That's just basic. It's like not having electricity. Not to mention they should be able to load up an EPS/PDF/TIF/JPG from you in their RIP without having to go through Corel in the first place.

Find a new print vendor.

I don't think Trust has anything to do with it. Some folks are non-conformists and prefer Corel for many reasons. They typically would have not nice things to say about "conformists" like yourself. I'm just sayin