• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Air bubble after install...

Tony Rome

...I know this will happen when installed improperly, so I am trying to find a solution.
Is the only way to buy a 3M roller for $100+?

I was taught once it was in groove just use your finger to seal it in and then apply more heat, something tells me I was taught wrong if this was the result.
Any help?
Thanks!
This is an HHR fender.

Attachments

• hhrbubble.jpg
    hhrbubble.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 104
Last edited by a moderator:

Tony Rome

We avoid stuff like that by not bridging and heating, but rather just installing it into the lip.
OK, care to explain a little more, it's just that this HHR has SO MANY curves it is hard to just make everything work right in without bridging a little.

thesignpad

Could be one of several things.

What are you using to clean / prep with? What temp are you installing the wrap at? IE Always install at a decently "warm" temperature. I ALWAYS prep all my wraps with a solvent prep cleaner (don't take any chances). Just make sure you are not using something like windex.

Use either a 50/50 mix of IPA / Water or a solvent prep cleaner.

I've also found in areas where I have no choice but to bridge, I always lay down a little bit of 3M 94 Primer and let it sit.

Also, are you POST heating everything? Even if you heat and push it in (stretch is ok) you are supposed to go over everything after and "POST HEAT" all grooves etc.

PS: I have both the 3M wrap tools (large and small roller) and they make a massive difference for installing. I find they just make some of those tight spots a heck of a lot easier....

ProWraps

ditch the finger method. quickly.

all the above mentioned advice in combination is going to yield your best result.

invest in the $097098123098476123897461239874612389764123.00 vcat from 3M. it really is worth it. sort of.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
"I've also found in areas where I have no choice but to bridge, I always lay down a little bit of 3M 94 Primer and let it sit."

Oracal says not to use 3M Primer 94 with their vinyl and from my experience don't.

CheapVehicleWrap

ditch the finger method. quickly.

all the above mentioned advice in combination is going to yield your best result.

invest in the $097098123098476123897461239874612389764123.00 vcat from 3M. it really is worth it. sort of.

The vcat is only licensed to be used with 3M materials. Violaters are dealt with the mattress tag police I believe.

While the vcat is terific, I do not like what the vcat does to 380-cv3 with gloss lam.

4R Graphics

Dont use Primer 94 with Oracal vinyl.

You can use just about any method or tool what ever works best for you but the big thing is you need to try and work the vinyl into the channel as much as possible. Also 2nd most important thing is POST HEAT. Last thing as stated earlier you need to keep the vinyl at a warmish temp when installing not warm enough to strech but not cold. The manufacturer should have the specs but if you keep it in the room temp range 70+degrees F it will help.

wu99wu

why not just heat up a lil bit, pop a very small hole at only 1 end of the bubble (closet to the edge of the bubble so you won't get much shrink back), and lightly heat up and press it down with your finger starting from the opposite end of the hole you popped. then heat it up like normal and really get it pressed down with a squeegie.

wu99wu

what do you guys suggest to use as a adhesive promoter for oracal vinyl?... i've used 3m primer 94 with oracal 970ra and it was coo, just can't lift back when it touches, kinda like a do or die, yes i know the adhesive on the oracal will pull off onto the area where the 3m primer 94 was laid down. i assume this is what you guys are referring to when saying don't use it?...

ProWraps

no they are refering to the tech bulletin/suggestions of the manufacturer that suggest the incompatablity of their product with 3M's adhesive promoter.