• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Air bubbles

Hi every0ne, i am getting a problem when i apply the vinyl onto foamex and some other surfaces, the only differnece is that i am not laminateing it, i leave the print to dry at least 24hrs before applying, i use a very small and thin needle to burst the air bubbles only to find they appear in other places lol!, i am new to digiprint but have been cad cutting for years and not had any big problems like this, any help please as my business partner is going mad at me and he thinks its me lol! Helllp!, thanks in advance

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I presume you're talking about a digitally printed vinyl.

What vinyl are you using and what size is the final print, that is giving you this/these problem ??

jiarby

your partner is right...

application error causes bubbles. your application technique is letting air get stuck under the print and/or you are letting the vinyl move (tunneling) that is causing folds & creases which trap air.

Look into a big squeegee, and watch some videos on youtube.

An unlaminated print may stretch, but should not get bubbles.

describe your mounting process better...

Custom_Grafx

I'm guessing you're using polyester film or something else which doesn't breath. If you're not letting your substrate outgass after removing the protective film, it'll bubble. Vinyl doesn't really give me that trouble coz it breathes. But chrome polyester films and the such cannot breath.

That's what it sounds like to me, when you say that you get rid of all the bubbles but you see more come back. Unless, you THINK you have burst all the bubbles, but have missed a couple, and your partner has better eyes or looks at it in different lighting or something...

Thanks

Hi and thanks for all the replies, i am using normal gloss vinyl for my eco solvent printer, i am applicating it wet, and i use a felt tool to lay it down with, i alway lay it flat and then chase the bubbles or use a needle to burst, but they still appear and the final job looks a mess, i have tried and tried but cant get it right, any ideas or videos you can suggest,many thanks

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Try using media actual made for digital printing.... and if you still have trouble, experiment with air release vinyls.

GB2

Old Member
There is no way you can get enough pressure with a felt tool on a wet application, that's what's causing your problem. You need to either don't use a felt tool and do the wet application properly or do a dry application.

WrapperX

There is no way you can get enough pressure with a felt tool on a wet application, that's what's causing your problem. You need to either don't use a felt tool and do the wet application properly or do a dry application.

+1

Edserv

After almost three years of trying this, it's come down to two things:
1) knowing when to use Dale's "Big Squeegee" and
2) knowing when to purchase the right vinyl and overlaminate for jobs not allowing number one above.

Oh, and I should also say, "when and how to use a cold-lam" for the right jobs.

We spent the first two years trying to figure out how to apply vinyl without (almost) any bubbles and wrinkles. The biggest success story we can remember is when we bought Dale's "Big Squeegee" (36, 48) and started getting almost perfect results. He's not only a great guy, but his product has saved many of us thousands of hours!

And the second thing is knowing which vinyls to apply to which surfaces. As an example, knowing to use 3M IJ80 and Overlam to do your car wraps beats the HELL out of several other products (won't go there for now.!!) As a side-bar, the right squeegee (tool) is also very important.!!

Oh, and the third- after purchasing a GBC 40" cold/hot lam, it really taught us to use the right equipment for the right jobs. We did also figure out a way (I posted to this previously) how to use the GBC to avoid almost any spoilage regardless of the laminate and vinyl.

Anyway, we're finally getting the hang of this and are doing some really cool jobs. Bubbles and wrinkles don't really come into play anymore for most of our jobs, and we can now focus on the more important issues: how to grow our business and work on MARKETING!

Amen!
Chris

MikePro

Chuck Norris pops air bubbles with a roundhouse kick

+1 to knowing your vinyl. because it knows you... and loves to play dirty tricks on your friday afternoon rush jobs!

jiarby

It is all about correct technique...
Get a big squeegee!

We mount unlaminated 3651 all the time onto coro, sintra, and foamcore... all dry installs, no bubbles... and FAST. Get on you tube and watch some BS videos. Then call Dale up and buy one NOW!

the only time we ever had trouble with an unlaminated print and a big squeegee was when we had alot of white b/g and black text. We tried to mount too soon after printing and the vinyl was still soft where the ink was... When we pushed with the squeegee the vinyl where the ink was stretched more then the white vinyl b/g and that caused creasing and it was a wreck. The error was not drying enough and/or not laminating.