• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Air Egress Vinyl and Using Transfer Tape...

player

I posted a thread about applying a decal 6' x 12' on a slightly curved truck. I am wondering if anyone has experience using transfer tape with air egress vinyl. I am using Oracal 3751 with 290 laminate.

I was told 3M makes 54"SCPM 44X trans tape for digital prints. It is supposed to be easy to remove after the decal is stuck down.

They also make 60" SCPM3 which would be for regular vinyl.

There are welds running vertically every 4', so I would imagine I would have to remove the tape then conform the decal to the weld if I use transfer tape.

Any advice on using transfer tape would be greatly appreciated.

John Butto

The beauty of air egress and a laminate is the application of the material without transfer tape. So it lays down smoothly over everything without bubbles and creases.

SIGNTIME

yes you can use transfer tape and we sometimes if the decal is more than one piece like when doing a logo or if it is a partial wrapyou can put transfer tape in areas that you don't want to rip or stretch it all really depends on the design maybe you could post what you are applying to get a better answer

Patentagosse

In another thread, someone said he's using 3M SCPS-55 with success on air-egress liner so I bought a roll but haven't tried it yet. I'm a long-time user of SCPM-3 and will stick to 3Ms as much as possible because the transfert are premium. 'Just hop the 55 is compatible with digital media liners as described... such a mess to prepare print n' cut kits for big rigs and ending up with tunneling and such... :noway:

worthy1

I havent had to use application tape with Air Egress yet but from my understanding it should not be an issue.

At the Avery training here, the rep said a common misconception with Air Egress is that the air comes out the top of the vinyl, when in actual fact it escapes out the sides. I am guessing that is why application tape can be used.

I do always wonder though that why when the vinyl is completely pressed down around an air bubble you can still press the bubble and the air escapes. Guess there is some sort of technical reason such as the adhesion still being 'young' which would allow air to escape and also the fact i believe the experts :)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I havent had to use application tape with Air Egress yet but from my understanding it should not be an issue.

At the Avery training here, the rep said a common misconception with Air Egress is that the air comes out the top of the vinyl, when in actual fact it escapes out the sides. I am guessing that is why application tape can be used.

I do always wonder though that why when the vinyl is completely pressed down around an air bubble you can still press the bubble and the air escapes. Guess there is some sort of technical reason such as the adhesion still being 'young' which would allow air to escape and also the fact i believe the experts :)

Yeah, I wonder where/how they ever came up with the name and theory.... air release/egress ?? :rolleyes:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
3M has a new material for this, AirEgrets.

Yeah, and now did ya see they also are working on tourette/airgrett for those JUST starting out in wraps ?? Don't know enough and just swear up & down putting it on.... while shaking their heads violently and spitting :rolleyes:

player

Hi and thanks for the replies.

The vehicle is a recycling truck with a slight curve horizontally. The same direction as a tanker truck, only it is about 6" to 12" bowed over the 6' height. That is the middle bellies out about 6" to 12". There are also overlap seams with welds, but they whole area would be about 1/4" wide, and goes up the 6' height.

The decal is in total 68" x 12'. I have a 54" printer so I will have 2 pieces- a 52" piece and a 16.5" piece.

I was told the 3M SCPM 44X comes in 54" and is for digital prints. It will be easy to remove after I am done. It is apparently a low tack T-Tape.

Last edited: