• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Airplane wrap help

ucmj22

Sooooo if I sell him on a decal package instead, how much less trouble will that cause me. PS I posted a pic of the planes in an earlier post. 06-25-2010, 11:16 AM

threads1

I'd say you would be fine. Now your just selling him a product for him to use. You don't have any control on how he will use the product so the liability falls on his shoulders.

Dave Drane

Sooooo if I sell him on a decal package instead, how much less trouble will that cause me. PS I posted a pic of the planes in an earlier post. 06-25-2010, 11:16 AM
I came for advice, and Plan to take it to heart. And quite frankly after listening to everyone, and watching this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go-PjCuLbOo I think I will probably push as hard as I can towards a decal package, but now that you just said that, how do I know I wont cover up one of those pin hole sensors with a 12 inch decal. I guess my point is that there are companies out there that are doing Aircraft wraps all the time, and they were probably in the same boat I am right now when they started, so Should I take the time and expand my offerings, or let someone else make the money?
You are starting to sound a little arrogant son, either take the advice offered or do some more looking into it for yourself!:Coffee:

JimJenson

Hey Jim...you are absolutely correct. It could go the way you described but, more than likely, it won’t. If the A & P agrees to sign off on the installation I think UCMJ22 will be O.K. Airplanes are a P.I.A. but working on them is not impossible. It really just takes a qualified person to look over your shoulder or inspect the finished product. ( that’s the uncomplicated version ).

Unless there is an over zealous official doing a ramp inspection or incident I doubt anyone would know the difference.

But then again, it is up to the FSDO to determine the rules and how they are interpreted and enforced, not an AP. Because an AP signs off a modification, doesn't necessarily make it legal.

As for making an owner installed graphic, go for it. The installation is what would be in question, not so much where the decal came from.

{Added} As for N60006 in the video, the wrapped aero commander, I would bet if ramp inspected, this plane would be deemed as no longer airworthy, with the rivets and that attach flight critical components covered with a sheet of vinyl. Preflight would be an issue. Probably wouldnt pass an annual either.

Last edited:

jmcnicoll

I looked into this a while back too and found out that even if you are certified they don't make aircraft vinyl for solvent printing. Stay away from the liability!!!!!!!!!!!

jim

Devo

Ultralight

Hey Folks !

Kind of keeping in this thread here : I am about to go up the road and put some numbers on an Ultralight plane with fabric wings. I have thought of vinyls because I am basically lazy, but then thought "oh here we go, which vinyl?"

So I came to the conclusion that because I can use a brush, I will. But then I thought "oh great, which paint?" Bloody confusing !

I have decided to go with an acrylic low sheen as I believe this will have the least deteriorating impact on the fabric. I have Vipond's Tautflex but it's waaaay too runny to brush and as I will be like MichaelAngelo painting the underside of the wing, I don't want black streaks running down my face :)

Any thoughts / ideas / suggestions ???

Kind Regards

Devo

FS-Keith

just an fyi, you need to be 3m certified in aircraft application to put decals on pressurized cabin airplanes

Devo

Oooops

Oooops, never mind, I returned to my lazy self and used vinyl. Good old cast vinyl. Boring as but I got paid so all is good :)