• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

alumalite

skyhigh

doing a 5x12 sign using alumalite (the corrugated plastic core). I was wondering if you have to cap the edges? Does it delaminate if you don't?

Should I be concerned with getting water in the core, then freezing?? As I write this, I'm wondering which way the open core / flutes run..... I didn't think to look.

Is edge capping a MUST DO?

Mainframe

I did a bunch of those with no caps, no problem, just bolt it on & leave it, that's what I do, sometimes if it is being viewed at eye level I put caps on for a finished look, but not for a weather/freeze problem. Alumalite doesn't delaminate like mdo

Farmboy

We did a sign about the same size and it's been up for a good 4 years now in Upstate NY. Looks as good as the day it went out the door. No edge caps.

Letterbox Mike

Caps never stay on anyways. I have tried silicone and other ways and it isn't worth it.

+1, they will inevitably start to come loose after a year or so and then that looks pretty shabby. We have made hundreds of signs with this material without capping and haven't seen a failure or delamination due to water in the flutes freezing.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We rarely use edge caps for any of the aluminum composites. It's easier just to run a piece of vinyl down the length and fold/wrap it over to the back side if you need that look.

skyhigh

Thanks everyone.

I think I like that "black border" look. It gives that "stand-off" the building look.

Do you think I should be charging extra for that??? :ROFLMAO:

Kottwitz-Graphics

Caps never stay on anyways. I have tried silicone and other ways and it isn't worth it.

I just did a couple of 3/8" single sided signs (with the core and the alum, it was just shy of 9/16"), and I used J Trim from Lowe's. It's a little longer on the back side, and I used small sheet metal screws plus silicone to hold it on.

It gives a nice finished look to the sign.

skyhigh

Now you have me curious Gino. Do you feel a plain piece of alumalite looks unfinished / bad?

Typically for wall signs (this is going on a corrugated steel bldg), I would make a pan face out of regular aluminum (thickness depending on size of sign). Being this is over my 10' brake capabilities, Im forced to do a flat panel. Tell me... would you typicall make some time of frame for a project like this?

just curious

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nah.... I was only f**kin' with ya.

At the size of your sign, I would either paint or vinyl about a 2" stripe or so to make it look finished off. Sometimes, we'll do a 2" stripe and then a 1/4" keep away stripe in anther color according to the look of the sign.

Keep away's are shadows, stripes or gingerbread that sets in a slight distance to add depth.
keep away shadow.JPG

skyhigh dude ranch.jpg

Malkin

When we were first offered Alumalite, we filled it with water and put it in the freezer for a couple days to check for delamination. Our highly scientific and rigorous testing found that it worked great, and has for the past 10 or so years with no reports of delamination.

Wish I could say the same of the metal faced plywood crap. We were sold on a type that was "presealed". I think we have replaced nearly every one of those signs with Alite.