• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Another Hi from Oz

OldPaint

"Any idiot can put text on to a screen and cut it out, but only a true craftsman can make it look good."
and how many of these statements have been made of those like you with no real artist ability, BUT THINK they are talented because they can work a computer and turn out CHEAPER SIGNS.............then the professionals like dave, fitch & bly!!!!!!!
iam an old "brush painter" like dave............and been watching the decline of the "talent" & the decline of GREAT DESIGNS. all ya gota do is hit the button))))))))))))))))

AusAndy

"Any idiot can put text on to a screen and cut it out, but only a true craftsman can make it look good."
and how many of these statements have been made of those like you with no real artist ability, BUT THINK they are talented because they can work a computer and turn out CHEAPER SIGNS.............then the professionals like dave, fitch & bly!!!!!!!
iam an old "brush painter" like dave............and been watching the decline of the "talent" & the decline of GREAT DESIGNS. all ya gota do is hit the button))))))))))))))))

So because I can use a computer I immediatly have 'no real artist ability'?

Fitch

Aus don't take any offence between the "old timers" that can paint and those that wield a tablet.

Both have plusses and both have their place. When you can blend the two - it just makes you a more accomplished and more flexible participant.

The only way to back up your attitude to learning, which I must say seems positive, and to silence any critics is to post your work.

If it is crap - expect to be told so. If it is great - accept the compliments with a huge chest. Particulalrly if those telling you are good at what they do and you can generally visit their websites or view the portfolio pages here.

An artist or those possessing artistic abilities can create no matter the medium or tool.

I have created faux textures using ground pepper, rock salt and course sand. Finish was EXACTLY what the client was after. They paid a small fortune and never knew the process - or ingredients. Creation is in the mind whatever the medium.

Welcome to your first "scolding" by those that have a passion for the industry and the craft - whether it be new technology. Me - I do old world 3 dimensional signs using the latest technology, and hand chisels. I rely on both Mr Gates and the Good Lord equally - (though I would not rate them equal...lol )

With the approach you seem to posess I am sure one day chances are you may well repeat the words to other "newbies" somewhere down the track. It is at that point it will "hit" you.

Good luck, keep those prices at whatever the market will bear and then add for your personal skill if it sets you apart.

Those that command higher prices are ALWAYS the better in their field.

Cheers - G

OldPaint

didnt say you didnt have any..............but iam sure its of no comparison to some of those in the "business"and as you said.........."doing signwriting for local clubs and volunteer orgs that cant afford to engage the services of professional signwriter." and that is why they CHARGE AS MUCH as they do for their talent & abilities!!!!!!!
one of my good mates down under is ROD TICKLE.......http://www.eastcoastairbrushing.com/

AusAndy

Aus don't take any offence between the "old timers" that can paint and those that wield a tablet.

Both have plusses and both have their place. When you can blend the two - it just makes you a more accomplished and more flexible participant.

The only way to back up your attitude to learning, which I must say seems positive, and to silence any critics is to post your work.

If it is crap - expect to be told so. If it is great - accept the compliments with a huge chest. Particulalrly if those telling you are good at what they do and you can generally visit their websites or view the portfolio pages here.

An artist or those possessing artistic abilities can create no matter the medium or tool.

I have created faux textures using ground pepper, rock salt and course sand. Finish was EXACTLY what the client was after. They paid a small fortune and never knew the process - or ingredients. Creation is in the mind whatever the medium.

Welcome to your first "scolding" by those that have a passion for the industry and the craft - whether it be new technology. Me - I do old world 3 dimensional signs using the latest technology, and hand chisels. I rely on both Mr Gates and the Good Lord equally - (though I would not rate them equal...lol )

With the approach you seem to posess I am sure one day chances are you may well repeat the words to other "newbies" somewhere down the track. It is at that point it will "hit" you.

Good luck, keep those prices at whatever the market will bear and then add for your personal skill if it sets you apart.

Cheers - G

Thanks, makes me feel like an apprentice again!

I am not sure what the quality of apprentices is like these days (have not had one for a while) but I gave it all away when I could not find one that was not interested in anything but getting paid. I am genuinley interested in learning the skills. Hopefully in the next few years I can get out of my current business and get my mate on board so I can really move forward.

BTW. The real reason I joined this forum was so I can view peoples work and read the criticism that people post. As a guest you cant see images. Dave would be pleased to know that I have already searched post written by him and looked at both his work and stuff he has said to others. Believe it or not I have already learned stuff from him and he does not even know it.

AusAndy

Cheers - G

didnt say you didnt have any..............but iam sure its of no comparison to some of those in the "business"and as you said.........."doing signwriting for local clubs and volunteer orgs that cant afford to engage the services of professional signwriter." and that is why they CHARGE AS MUCH as they do for their talent & abilities!!!!!!!
one of my good mates down under is ROD TICKLE.......http://www.eastcoastairbrushing.com/

That guys work is brilliant.

Fitch

Rod is a master of the airbrush and over decades has taken in many states of Australia, many visits overseas and a keen "Letterheads" supporter. He would agree that he is still perfecting his art today. Also ultra nice guy to boot.

I can only "just" airbrush. But better than 75%. Self teaching whilst frustrating is a grand opportunity to think about building layers to create a result.

If you are interested visit my websites www.sydneysignworks.com.au and www.coloradosigns.com.au to see the variety of work I do.

Cheers - G

Dave Drane

Maybe I have let a little of the steam get last night. I sit here at night with a few drinks and say it as I see it. Andy, this is some of the stuff that got me going.
I bought a cheap Redsail RS720 plotter, and recently upgraded to a mimaki cg75. Currently I am running a small business after hours doing signwriting for local clubs and volunteer orgs that cant afford to engage the services of professional signwriter. I dont make a lot of cash out of it, but I am learning and enjoying doing it. For me its not about the money, or not yet anyway!
I do believe that a paret of your post about professional signwriters were jacking up their prices was edited out of you post.
You are proud of getting more than $100/hour but a trained professional signwriter could be ripping off customers at charging $65/hour??
I am proud to say that Rod Tickle is a neighbour and a mighty fine all round "craftsmam" who I would certainly take my hat off to any time at all.:thumb:

AusAndy

Maybe I have let a little of the steam get last night. I sit here at night with a few drinks and say it as I see it. Andy, this is some of the stuff that got me going.

I am sure you have read plenty of it with no substance. I understand your frustration. I have already learned a valuable lesson buying a redsail plotter (ie dont buy one), but at the same time I have learned truckloads about vector drawings during that whole discovery process. My apologise if I have pissed you or anyone else off in the process.

I do believe that a paret of your post about professional signwriters were jacking up their prices was edited out of you post.

Not at all. Being a business owner myself, I understand the cost involved in running business before materials and equipment are even thought about. I know the cost of sign materials and equipment also, and I know its not cheap.

You are proud of getting more than $100/hour but a trained professional signwriter could be ripping off customers at charging $65/hour??

Like I said, its not always about money. I have done ok out of my IT business, but I want to do something else. I have always liked signwriting and graphic design. Time do something that I like doing. Yup, I am not to good at it yet, but I am learning.

I am proud to say that Rod Tickle is a neighbour and a mighty fine all round "craftsmam" who I would certainly take my hat off to any time at all.:thumb:

I have spend the last 3 hours looking over his website. Amazing stuff. I think I want to get him to do a helmet for me!

Fitch

If you are into airbrushing, you might want to check out Wayne Harrison from Advanced Airbrushing... here in Sydney but does do courses up your way. Check out the website for course options.

Cheers - G