• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Another odd ball project we did this week

SignManiac

Quite often I get calls from clients with these strange jobs that everyone else turns down, I'm a glutton for punishment I guess. This client asked me to make dimensional carved replicas of her original hand carved wood blocks. There were nine total and each one measures 9"w. x 12"h.

These had to be outdoor durable for display in a free standing shrine box outside of a museum. Each one a different native species plant design. I decided to do them in 1/2" black PVC using a paint mask over the black so that we would not have to paint all of the details in the design, then I had the image laser carved through the paint mask and into the material. Once the background was burned out, we simply painted the background with a close paint color match to the cypress boxes they had made for the plaques to sit in.

The first picture is the original image of the artwork we had to work from. They were bitmap .jpg's and need to be converted to vector line art for the laser engraving.

The second photo is the finished result after the carving and painting. The third image is a shot of all nine designs, along with the shrine box set up on a galvanized pipe that these were installed in. The pieces are very small and the artwork details even smaller. Looks like a simple job, but in actuality, it was more work then even I was expecting. That's what happens when you challenge yourself with the unknown. But believe you me, you sure do learn a lot in the process.

Attachments

• 00-origninal art.jpg
    00-origninal art.jpg
    446.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 01-finished carved.jpg
    01-finished carved.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 01-finished all.jpg
    01-finished all.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 02-cypress case.jpg
    02-cypress case.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 108
  • 03-finished shrine box.jpg
    03-finished shrine box.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 103

SignManiac

You're so right Dan and besides, you have to keep the work interesting if you don't want to burn out doing the same thing day in and day out. Not only that, these are the kind of jobs where price is no object. That's the fun part :)

fubar55

Cutting vinyl on a laser is a no no. Puts of clorine gas, carode metal parts in the laser and even worse for the lungs.

SignManiac

These were done with PVC. It did stink but I didn't do the engraving. The guy who did them for me is still alive as of last week. He set them up and left them burning until they were done. He said he did have to clean his engraver from the residue they emitted.

CanuckSigns

+1 on the no pvc in the laser, releases chlorine gas, even though our machine vents outside we still won't touch the stuff. I'm suprised your laser guy didn't know this

John L

Very neat! Excellent work. I also really love doing jobs like that. I have a guy that owns a very nice, huge apartment complex in DC that just calls up, will speak only to me, and asks me to replicate all sorts of aluminum architectural details, decorations, railings that were done back in the 1950's. Great guy, work I love doing, he never asks for a price, he never questions a blll... = Perfect customer.

SignManiac

John, I've had a run on customers like that this week. Just do it and call me when it's done. No price needed. Gotta love it...

John L

You really deserve it man. Your work is always top quality. I'm sure others here are the same, but if I see a post started by you down a long list, I will jump right to it just to see what the latest creation is. ...Hats off!