• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any Input Helpful

Here's one of my new ideas. Not sure if its any better but pick it apart and let me know whatcha think. Thanks!

Attachments

• New.png
    New.png
    57.6 KB · Views: 123

DrCAS

The reverse italic of "Darkside is fighting with the direction the car graphic is taking. The graphic is too high tech looking for the name and the staggered text on "Auto Solutions" just looks wrong.

Fitch

Here's a hint Darkside.

When you design, think (better still look) of Magazines. Yup... magazines. Grab a "Home Beautiful" or "Vogue".... now look at the individual components of clothing people are wearing.... they all compliment each other, to come up with an overall look or feel.

Think Dining Room.... the lamps, the carpet, the paintings, the curtains, the lounges. They all fit together to give one beautiful picture.

Signs and design is no different. DON'T put gothic with classic. Don't put bold oranges and blues with soft yellows and lilacs.

Getting it?

Cheers - G

Last edited:

OldPaint

LOSE THE FONT FOR ......DORKSIDE!!!!!! GEZZZZZZZZZZ. it dont get any better by trying a different size.

Joe Diaz

At this point in the game, you don't want to bite off more than you can chew. Concentrate on just your lettering, and get a better handle on that. I'll give you a hint. Look at most major brands out there, Do you see them using crazy gothic style or stenciled looking fonts? No. Why do you think that is?

You don't need the strangest looking fonts to get peoples attention. It doesn't really work that way. You want clean, you want easy to read, you want a font style that matches the overall style for your business. Perhaps that is where you should start.

You are working on cars right? For the most part cars are sleek sexy and stylized. They have a flowing design where everything fits together right? If I were you, I would try to capture that in you logo. Perhaps looking through car emblems might help get your juices flowing.

95% of the fonts that are out there are worthless for most designs, unless a specific style calls for that unusual font. So make sure the font style makes sense with the other elements in your design but most importantly makes sense with your business.

Next you are going to want to focus on contrast. That is something that even some long time sign folk struggle with. White on light blue does not have enough contrast. My tip for this is to first do a search on this site for "squint test". Get in a habit of designing and thinking in black and white. Most of the time a logo that reads well in black and white, well also read well in color, and that is because of contrast. Once you have a solid design that works well in black and white, come back in and start adding color, Make your blacks dark colors and your whites light colors. There is a bit more to it then that, but at least that will get you started.

Marlene

that is pretty awful looking. with a name like darkside, you could do some nice stuff but the foo foo blue and white looks more like a surf board company's colors than a place called "darkside".

what is it that you do? if you were driving by and saw that, would you even know what the company did? when you put out a design, it should at least hint at what the company does and who would want the service. from what I can seeing it is a confused guy who watches old "Dark Shadows" re-runs and loves the beach and found some clipart swooshy things to throw into the mix to make it look "fancy".

Thanks for all the input. I am learning ALOT and I greatly appreciate all help. The brutally honest replys are usually the best. I am going to wait till I get my book and get a little more practice before I try again but you guys have helped more than anything. Thanks again and you will be seeing more of me in the near future. Have a great night!

Marlene

Thanks again and you will be seeing more of me in the near future.

hope to see what you come up with after doing some research into design. also what is helpful is marketing. knowing what appeals to what demographic is a major tool you can use when coming up with a good design. we have designs in front of us and everyone one of us responds to them. take a walk down the cereal ailse of your local store as it is one of the best places to really see designs made to target different groups of shoppers. take a look at kids cereal vs the healthy whole grain stuff, etc. looks at the colors and fonts used to get an idea of how these all come together to send the right message to the right group. walk thru a mall and take a look at the signs and pretend you can't read them, just look at them and see how they tell you who they want to shop in their store. once you start looking around, you can't help but to start seeing how this all works.

good luck