• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone ever use an NAS System (Network Attached Storage)

RVSG-THOM

We have had a few problems lately at our shop with a computer that has a 500GB RAID mirrored drives, and are worrying about any data loss issues or problems with other hardwares. I was wondering if any users have used any of the NAS (Newtork Attached Storage) Systems? Any advice or comments would be helpful?

GK

Yes, its a worthwhile investment. I would make it a point (if you have broadband access at the office and home perhaps) to buy two units, keep one on site and one off-site such as your home and schedule the back-ups that way. Backing up your data to a 2nd source is useless if there is a disaster. Backing up your data to a 2nd source and a 2nd location could turn out to be a priceless investment.

animenick65

An NAS is a great solution if you have many computers that need to access the same data. They can be complicated to setup and maintain but so it goes for the advantage of data security.

Jeremy092288

Infrant by Netgear

Best NAS on the market IMHO. I've been an IT guy in the past. PM me if you have any more questions.

jiarby

Yep, I rolled out a 1TB NAS about 6 years ago when I was an IT weenie.

It was a 5-U Rack full of ultra SCSI drives, costs lotsa money!

Now you but a Buffalo terrastation for $650!

Back then a 175gb 15K SCSI disk costs over $1200 and we had 12 of them! Raid 5. Dual controllers dual ethernet, and P/S.

SignBurst PCs

Love them, recommend them, a great investement!

Soooo many shops don't consider backup or redundancy of data. A NAS is a great first step. You should always have an offiste backup of the data on your NAS though.

We have sent a few out to some of our best customers with great success. We build our own using an Intel chassis, so I don't have any "store-bought" brands to recommend.

P

ProWraps™

we use one. got a 500gb for $175. they are so cheap it just makes sense now a days.