• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone know how to save a painted sign?

soundhound

I am looking at a large (2' x 20' or so) plywood painted sign that actually looks GREAT... with all the paint crackled and nicely patina'd.

I could probably sell them a new sign, but I don't see why I couldn't "save" the sign with the right techniques/products.

Is anyone here up to speed with what can be done to restore some life into an old painted sign?

Is there some decent clear coating that can seal it up... or will most coatings just cause it to further crackle?

Seriously, it would seem that there is some kind of 2 part coating that is stronger than crackling paint.

Any leads?

Thanks

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There are numerous ways to make a sign last longer, but none of them involve a magical one or two part coating that will do the trick.

Unfortunately, you'll have to sand it down and determine if any wood has started rotting around the edges. The crackling you speak of is the paint peeling. So, you must remove all of the old, prep the wood and start over again. If you can do all of that for less than it costs to start with new fresh wood or aluminum composite.... you're probably working too cheap..... especially for a 4' x 10' piece of material.

Post up a picture of it and then one or two close-ups and let us have a better lookie see.

HaroldDesign

I could be way off, and if I am I'm sure it will be pointed out, but I've had success with Polycrylic on A LOT of things!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Harold.... I believe what you suggested is an interior product only and is not a product to bring old spent paint back to life again.

Jillbeans

Depending on what the sign is painted with I see two possible solutions.
One, simply wash the sign. Let dry REAL good in the sun.
Then wax with good car wax.
Two, if the sign is 1Shot, you could clean and dry as suggested.
Then try a scumble glaze to go deeply into the cracks and things.
Then coat with 1 Shot matte clear.
Or....third option.
Sell them a new sign.
Clean their old one and mount it inside their business for display.
Love.....Jill

SignManiac

Many years ago in my previous life as a sign painter, I had made a small 2'x3' sign on MDO, painted with a good enamel and lettered with 1-shot. The guy asked how long it would last and I told him he could expect 5-10 years depending on how he took care of it.

I drove past the sign two weeks after he put it up. The background was white when I painted it, and now it was yellow? I got out and looked at it up close and discovered he had brushed on a coat of polyurethane on it. Not two months later, every bit of the polyurethane had flaked off in sheets back to the original white enamel. I guess he learned a lesson there.

round man

I have had limited luck with a clear acrylic sealer used to stop checking(paint cracking and chipping off). I forget the brand but I buy it at lowes or home depot here and it acts like a glue to hold everything together. the problem here is that in order to stop the paint from oxidizing and disintegrating your have to remove it from the elements and put it inside away from the elements that cause these natural deteriorations. the only other option would to get good detailed photo's and paint the sign new only with antique faux techniques,....

soundhound

The sign is actually in pretty good condition... the craquelature being small and even.
I am thinking it might be worth a try to clean it well, dry it out, and then wax it as recommended by Jillbeans.

Clear coats worry me because they do tend to cause the paint to lift.

Any recommendations on a brand of wax and how thick I could apply it? Up here in Vermont we have extreme UV degradation.

Thanks for all the great input!

Marlene

Any recommendations on a brand of wax and how thick I could apply it? Up here in Vermont we have extreme UV degradation

we sure do! I just typed into bing.com "car was to protect from UV light" and got a ton of info that you might find helpful.

Craig Sjoquist

I use Ronans UV Aquathane after a mild soap & water wash, dry, clear coat you get a few more years that is if the wood is ok.

I now use this clear coat for all my new signs that pay well. since 1 Shot no longer has lead.