• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone know the cost range per sqft for HP 5500 Designjet INK

CustomRide

Hey guys I was just looking at a HP 5500 designjet and was wanting to know the average "range" cost per sq ft on INK alone?

Also does anyone know how long prints would happen to last outside with that 12mil convex laminate? 1yr?2yr?3yr?

I know I left the questions pretty open ended....I am just trying to get a real rough estimate on cost and try to figure out how long these will last outside.

Trying to get at least 2 years no fading.

Thanks in advance for any reply!:thankyou:

Last edited:

Checkers

You probably won't get 2 years under normal conditions - even with a UV laminate.
I've seen pigmented auqeous ink (UV) inkjet prints start to fade in as little as 2 weeks in Vegas. However, I have had others last 2+ years. The 2+ years was a north facing banner, here in PA, with laminate, that was mounted under a canopy. So, it got no direct exposure to sunlight.
If I remember correctly, I estimated about $1.50 sq. ft. cost for ink and cheap banner media alone. So, I would guess about 50¢ a square foot for ink on a dark, full color print - Printheads, maintenance, etc. was extra.

Checkers

animenick65

We have a 5500 here with UV inks. We have seen prints on trucks and signs lasting at least 3 years. Again, there are numerous variables to consider and it can be hard to determine how long a print will last. Certain prints that contain certain colors like yellow and red will fade pretty fast. We also use a very hard UV lam which I'm sure helps.

We use 3M media specifically for the 5500 here. It's expensive and doesn't conform well, but for stuff that lays fairly flat and needs to last, the combo works well. With print technology the way it is, the 5500 really doesn't have much of a place for making prints for outdoors. Its really a high quality giclee machine.

Chiproller

I have the Canon IPF 9000 with aqueous inks and it's always smart to estimate at least $2 psf cost for ink and media. I used to try and print outdoor banners with it but you're really trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Solvent inks are best for outdoor anything.

KR3signguy

We have a 5500 here with UV inks. We have seen prints on trucks and signs lasting at least 3 years. Again, there are numerous variables to consider and it can be hard to determine how long a print will last. Certain prints that contain certain colors like yellow and red will fade pretty fast. We also use a very hard UV lam which I'm sure helps.

We use 3M media specifically for the 5500 here. It's expensive and doesn't conform well, but for stuff that lays fairly flat and needs to last, the combo works well. With print technology the way it is, the 5500 really doesn't have much of a place for making prints for outdoors. Its really a high quality giclee machine.

Why would you produce a truck print or anything outdoors with an HP5500?
Just wondering?

animenick65

interesting, you learn something new everyday.

Yes, the 5500 isn't the best machine for outdoor stuff. But with the right materials and making sure your applying on a fairly flat substrate, it is quite possible. We've had great results out doors. Customers from years back are happy with how long the prints are holding up.