• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone using 440 cc Inks in their Roland?

Team Valhalla

Just for the record....there isn't a problem with pulling out a cart that isn't 100% empty and re-using later. When I'm printing long runs overnight, I'll throw in a full cart if levels are at 10% or so - then just swap old one back in the morning. I've got some that are a couple months old and haven't had a problem - you just have to pick and choose the right moment so you're not running out in the middle of a big panel or at night when no one is there to catch it. :thumb:

Pat, thanks for this comment! :thankyou:

I've had a situation where the machine was telling me that the cart was getting low, and like Crammer on Seinfeld taking the new car out for a test drive with low gas, I was pushing it to see how far it would go. Well, we were supposed to go on a week long vacation and I figured about midweek it would finally run out during an auto clean... so I switched it out. Crazy thing was still a quarter full. I've had it sitting in a cupboard wondering what would happen if I slipped it back in.

SP

Team Valhalla

That sucks for a guy like me who doesnt have $1000.00 in ink on standby .

I guess there is no sloution to this ? My printer is only a 30" and I've printed about 25 feet ... any ideas of how long my ink will last ?

Autoexebat, you mentioned in an earlier post that your printer was new to you, and you had done some printing and wondered how much was left... you'll find that it will last longer than you think... depending on what you're printing obviously. Your machine should give you an estimate of how much ink a print job is going to take when you start it.

But, on the other hand.... take it from someone that learned the hard way, invest in ink inventory. Get at least one cart of each so that you have it on hand when one runs out. The investment in inventory is much lower than the cost of a service tech or replacement parts and down time.

I waited too long to order replacement carts once and ran out of one during a rather large, rush job. I swallowed my pride and called a printer in the next town that I knew had a couple Rolands. The guy was great about it and sold me a cart of the color I needed. I usually refer customers to him now that I can't help or don't have the equipment or experience to give them what they're looking for.

SP

autoexebat

Autoexebat, you mentioned in an earlier post that your printer was new to you, and you had done some printing and wondered how much was left... you'll find that it will last longer than you think... depending on what you're printing obviously. Your machine should give you an estimate of how much ink a print job is going to take when you start it.

But, on the other hand.... take it from someone that learned the hard way, invest in ink inventory. Get at least one cart of each so that you have it on hand when one runs out. The investment in inventory is much lower than the cost of a service tech or replacement parts and down time.

I waited too long to order replacement carts once and ran out of one during a rather large, rush job. I swallowed my pride and called a printer in the next town that I knew had a couple Rolands. The guy was great about it and sold me a cart of the color I needed. I usually refer customers to him now that I can't help or don't have the equipment or experience to give them what they're looking for.

SP

Thanks , so far I have only used around 73cc total ... I guess I have plently left .. My printer is brand new and it only takes the 440 cartriges so I should be good for a while . Sure wish the software would at least show me that I have used some .:rolleyes:

phototec

take it from someone that learned the hard way, invest in ink inventory. Get at least one cart of each so that you have it on hand when one runs out. The investment in inventory is much lower than the cost of a service tech or replacement parts and down time.

:goodpost:

YEP, that's what I do, if you are serious about being in this business, you have to operate like a real business. I have a set of 440's in my printer and one full set of 440's and 3 colors of another 440 set on standby, along with several 220's just because I got them for $30 each with FREE shipping from a guy on craigslist who changed printers.

I have read several stories about folks on here who came back to the shop on Monday morning to find all the INK wicked out of their printer filled the overflow bottle and all over the floor. If that ever happens, you better have a ink supply on hand ready to go.

I wish I had a real understanding of what caused that to happen, but I don't know why that happens?

Anyway, because I know ink wicking has happened to others on here, I purchased a large rectangle trash can and positioned it right under the overflow bottle with a trash can liner inside, and I don't use it for trash, it's there just in case, for insurance so I don't damage my laminated floor.

:thumb:

player

I think it happens when your caps are too old. The sponges in them swell up and touch the head, causing the ink to drain out.

I was doing the math on 220's vs 440's again. 220's are $75 here. The 440 price for 220 is $67.50. So it is only $7.50 more per cart...

autoexebat

LOL unfortantly it's still a BIG cookie for me to eat as I really don't profit a whole lot of my printer yet , I wish I could get 220's for it but that don't make them for my printer. I have 7 colors :banghead: