• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Apply vinyl on a boat

drakesis

What's the best way of applying a 15" x 17ft stripe on the sides of a boat? In sections or one long piece?

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
So, this 15" wide stripe runs the length of the hull from the bow to the stern just under the hull/deck joint, correct?

You do realize that this stripe will almost certainly have to be distorted as it follows the hull shape from the bow to the stern and that it will not have an even appearance after it is applied?

The only real way to do something like this that is so wide is to manually place a line of tape at where the top of your stripe would be and another where the bottom of the strip would be -- this one you will have to stand back a distance and adjust as necessary to account for the changing angle and curvature of the hull and so it looks correct to the eye.

then apply an oversize chunk of vinyl or several pieces as necessary and VERY CAREFULLY score the surface of the vinyl with an X-Acto along where it meets the underlying tape -- then remove the excess and tape. This will take a fairly long time.

Boot Stripe = stripe just above and parallel to the waterline

Cove Stripe = stripe just under the hull deck joint or along the top of the topsides (the section of hull that is above water)

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Why don't they just paint it? Sorry to be a kill joy but putting a stripe that wide and long doesn't make much sense to me. Is it special "camo" vinyl or something?

drakesis

Why don't they just paint it? Sorry to be a kill joy but putting a stripe that wide and long doesn't make much sense to me. Is it special "camo" vinyl or something?

I've gotten them to change their mind, they're going with some regular graphics and lettering. So it'll be an easy job now, :wink:

cajunaviator

For future reference, you can use knifless tape. You can place one strip on the top and one on the bottom. Overlay your vinyl to cover the knifless tape and then use the knifless tape to cut the vinyl and you are done.

StickySigns

@Cajunaviator:
I've heard someone talking about the knifeless tape thing a month ago.
If I understood correctly this is a tape with a cutting wire inside which you pull up when the vinyl is applied over it so it cuts the vinyl?
If so, where can we find this as I don't have a supplier for anything like it?

thx for the info.