• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Applying air egress vinyl to acrylic for external use? Bad or good?

DisplayWorks S&G

As opposed to using blackout translucent, I was hoping to use a good quality air egress applied to acrylic for an external sign.

I recall a former know it all fellow employee mentioning that this could pose an issue. Is this true?

JBurton

Signtologist
Is it backlit ??
Sounds like it? I think he's thinking issues with poly bubbling with full coverage black or other dark colors.
I don't see an issue. It won't glow quite right, but if blackout is the goal, then goal acheived.

Manuel Upton

We have not had good luck with printed air egress vinyl on polycarbonate (we don't use acrylic). We tried it on multiple signs, and every one of them had major bubbling issues no matter how long we let them outgas. 2 different vinyl manufacturers recommended baking the poly before installing the vinyl. Who the hell is going to do that? Went back to wet install vinyl and have had no issues.