• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Architectural window graphics (Big Job!, Help!)

TCBinaflash

I've been hired to provide window graphics on a glass building. This will require roughly 3000 square feet of white cut vinyl.

They are giving me the architectural plans to layout the art (simple logo).

Anyone have experience in layout procedure for a behemoth like this?

My plan was just to create a template of the building face, tile the art, cut and denote panel location on the finished pieces.

I hired the best installer I could to guide me through best practices but any advice helps.

Thanks!

smdgrfx

I've done something similar in the past and that is exactly what I did. Make a grid and plot the number right into the finished product. Mark the transfer tape with same numbers. I did it on the front and on the back of the liner. Just so we would always know what piece we had in our hands no matter which way it was facing.

i have done many large scale projects (both large in size and large in quantity). don't let the size overwhelm you . if you had to panel a 16' X 32' sign you would go about it the same way you can only handle sheets so large and printers can only print so wide.

lay it out. get it printed (for large prints (both size and quantity) my printer of choice would be merritt). make sure it is printed correctly. prepare it for installation and get it done one piece at a time. collect the money. tell the client thank you and you look forward to the next project and put it in your portfolio.

TCBinaflash

Thanks for the reassurance guys. I think the scale is just intimidating me, but I've been doing this long enough how not to do things (and also when to ask for help).

Thanks Again!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
How tall is the building ?? Will you be applying these from the outside.... or inside ?? Most of those large windowed building have reflective barriers on them to guard against sunlight and glare. Do you know if this building has that in place ??

TCBinaflash

How tall is the building ?? Will you be applying these from the outside.... or inside ?? Most of those large windowed building have reflective barriers on them to guard against sunlight and glare. Do you know if this building has that in place ??

It depends on access, but the installer is looking to do a inside facemount application. Probably going to use Oracal architectural film with RA. (No printing, just white vinyl)

Not sure about the barrier, we are doing a site inspection this week to finalize technique, costs and all the other possibly awesome issues for a job of this magnitude.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
It depends on access, but the installer is looking to do a inside facemount application. Probably going to use Oracal architectural film with RA. (No printing, just white vinyl)

Not sure about the barrier, we are doing a site inspection this week to finalize technique, costs and all the other possibly awesome issues for a job of this magnitude.
Looks like a lot of fun. Mirror image in pieces. Good luck!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you have windows like these... windows.jpg you won't be doing an inside job at all.

G-Artist

A word of advice that I got from a guy who has done several Super Bowl installs and that is NEVER rely on building blueprints for measurements....take them yourself....twice!

Better yet, you and a partner each take measurements and then compare the two.

TCBinaflash

A word of advice that I got from a guy who has done several Super Bowl installs and that is NEVER rely on building blueprints for measurements....take them yourself....twice!

Better yet, you and a partner each take measurements and then compare the two.

I got myself covered. I'm going to work off off the blueprints unless the installer's numbers don't jive with the specs.

I am for sure quadruple hedging my measurements and liabilities.

onesmf

Not sure whether you will need to be exact on your measurements, but keep in mind that all of the windows will not be the same size. I have done numerous store fronts with lots of windows and they theoretically were the same size, however in actuality they were not. Good luck.