• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Are Edge 1 and Edge 2 printheads interchangeable?

SqueeGee

I've been trying to sell our Edge 1 because it's been sitting idol since we picked up a used Edge 2 this spring. I saw a post recently that pegs the printhead replacement cost at $4K - $5K. This made me wonder if I should reconsider selling my Edge 1. Maybe I should just keep it as a spare.

So the question is, are the printheads interchangeable? If so, is it possible to make the swap without sending it back to Gerber?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
My understanding is that the printheads are the same. Installing a printhead is not something that is recommended because of the special tools and measurements required.

The reason for the high cost of print head replacement by Gerber is that the rest of the electronics are also refurbished when they replace a printhead and older machines require a greater amount of work.

Everybody is different, of course, but I have never understood why anyone would let their old Edge go for a few thousand when they get a second Edge or, especially, an inkjet. We run somewhere close to $50K a year here just in repeat jobs off of our Edge. I would never dream of switching those jobs to an inkjet.

SqueeGee

Everybody is different, of course, but I have never understood why anyone would let their old Edge go for a few thousand when they get a second Edge or, especially, an inkjet. We run somewhere close to $50K a year here just in repeat jobs off of our Edge. I would never dream of switching those jobs to an inkjet.

I agree completely on the inkjet. He got our JV3 about 5 years ago but our Edge still runs everyday. I'm struggling a little bit with having our Edge 1 just taking up real estate in our shop but it definitely changes my perspective after fully understanding the cost of repairing our Edge 2 should it go down.

Has anyone attempted a printhead swap on their own? If so, how did it work out?