• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Are there any intel motherboards that support . .

ActualGrafix

more than 24 gb of ram???? I'm curious because signburst has an option on one of their computers that goes up to 96gb of RAM!!! That would be BADA$$! If there was a motherboard that supported it anyway.

SignBurst PCs

Honestly, the 96 GB of RAM is only available on our SignBurst™ SuperNova and yes there are programs that use it (64 Bit applications can use HUGE amounts of RAM). We haven't had any one go past 48GB of RAM yet though. The price gets insanely prohibitive to jump to 96GB and there are very few people that could use it.

I can say that the 48GB systems are very fun and very impressive in Photoshop!

Rooster

Any of the newer mac pros can handle 64GB of RAM.

I've 18 GB in my macpro and it made a world of difference when jumping back and forth between applications. 96GB is just silly. Silly enough that I want 96GB of ram now.

Damn it's tough being a tech junkie sometimes.

OldPaint

macs have alway been ram hogs....back in the day when 4 MEGS of ram was popular and about a $100 for that much, in a PC.............i went to a computer show and this guy had an AGFA SCANNER, hooked to a MAC, and would scan a PIC, and print it for ya, in about 30 minutes...............and he would brag that the MAC HAD 64 MEGS A RAM!!!!!!!!

Rooster

macs have alway been ram hogs....back in the day when 4 MEGS of ram was popular and about a $100 for that much, in a PC.............i went to a computer show and this guy had an AGFA SCANNER, hooked to a MAC, and would scan a PIC, and print it for ya, in about 30 minutes...............and he would brag that the MAC HAD 64 MEGS A RAM!!!!!!!!

I paid over 18 grand for a new mac Quadra 950 back in the day with 64 megs of RAM. Sounds pricey, but it flat out smoked the "high end" retouching station I had been working on previously that cost over a half million.

It's amazing how far this industry has come over the years with technology.

artsnletters

I paid over 18 grand for a new mac Quadra 950 back in the day with 64 megs of RAM. Sounds pricey, but it flat out smoked the "high end" retouching station I had been working on previously that cost over a half million.

It's amazing how far this industry has come over the years with technology.
well just screwing around on apple's Mac Pro custom options list you can get a dual quad core 2.93 intel xeon processor, 32 gigs of memory, 8 terabites HD's, 2 superdrives, 2) 30" Cinema displays for less than $16,000 ! Stuff i'll never afford or get to work on...
Tim

Rooster

well just screwing around on apple's Mac Pro custom options list you can get a dual quad core 2.93 intel xeon processor, 32 gigs of memory, 8 terabites HD's, 2 superdrives, 2) 30" Cinema displays for less than $16,000 ! Stuff i'll never afford or get to work on...
Tim

My macpro (dual dual core xeon 3ghz) cost me far less than that. Optioning it out on the apple store gets nutty expensive.

My machine with 18 gigs of ram, four terrabyte drives, two optical drives and a 27" samsung monitor came in under $6K. Any idiot can install the RAM and hard drives in these things. No tools required. I bought the ram from macsales.com and the hard drives I picked locally for about $100 each as I've needed the extra space.

The chips are pin compatible with the quad core xeons so I can always go to 8 cores down the road if I need the extra capacity.

artsnletters

My macpro (dual dual core xeon 3ghz) cost me far less than that. Optioning it out on the apple store gets nutty expensive.

My machine with 18 gigs of ram, four terrabyte drives, two optical drives and a 27" samsung monitor came in under $6K. Any idiot can install the RAM and hard drives in these things. No tools required. I bought the ram from macsales.com and the hard drives I picked locally for about $100 each as I've needed the extra space.

The chips are pin compatible with the quad core xeons so I can always go to 8 cores down the road if I need the extra capacity.
I'm terminally a cheap bastard i guess as i just bought a Mac G5 dual 2gig processors and 2.56 gbs memory for $200 bucks from a local college. I can upgrade it to 8 gigs memory (soon)...
I found on my old workhorse G4's the minimum requirements are almost getting obsoleted for some programs, so i needed to get a G5. These G5's are like art inside...really cool and easy to upgrade!

Sorry for the thread jack.
Tim