• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Art quality prints

Drum

I have a customer that photographs wild animals in South Africa and he would like photos reproduced at approx 23" x 15" to hang in game preserve. He asked us to do these so I need suggestions and a source for printing. We will prepare digital scans from original photo.
Thanks for your help.

visual800

I would do digital prints mounted on 1/4" pvc and mount with stand offs. Each pic would have a border on it, if he wanted a nice product. This would be economical and still make a nice looking presentation

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
For presentation ideas you should try to pick Artbot's brain.
He is resident ink mad scientist here that turns out fine art displays.

My idea would be to separate the animal from the background, print it second surface onto clear plex and stand if off the background print. Then you could color print the animal & desaturate the background (or dual tone it) to get the animal to pop.

wayne k
guam usa

signswi

Look for a shop that has a Canon iPF series or Epson Stylus Pro series printer and experience with printing fine art. You'll find a ton of shops that say they can do art quality prints but don't have the experience to back it up. It's finicky, challenging work. That said, 23x15" is nothing and many photographers do their own prints at that size with an Epson Stylus Pro 4900 you may have luck finding one locally that will do the prints for you.

artbot

that would be a good look. but keep the animal on the back surface too. you'll get a more 3d/moire effect as the viewer passes the piece. also make the acrylic larger than the back panel. it will allow the wall to blend with the piece and just basically looks better that way. i also like to use the bottle green acrylic in some of the applications, will give it the look of glass without the fabrication issues.

Drum

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the feedback and the generous contribution of your time. As always, great help!
Drum

Drum

Great ideas!

that would be a good look. but keep the animal on the back surface too. you'll get a more 3d/moire effect as the viewer passes the piece. also make the acrylic larger than the back panel. it will allow the wall to blend with the piece and just basically looks better that way. i also like to use the bottle green acrylic in some of the applications, will give it the look of glass without the fabrication issues.

Great ideas! I'm going to try this. This particular photo is a closeup of a leopard lying on a rock with tree branches and leaves interspersed, so the leopard is in the middle ground, so to speak. Would the technique you mentioned still work?

artbot

upload the photo? there are other approaches as well. you could threshold the image and just print the highlights on the second/top layer so things like leaves are pushed forward.