• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

At last...

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Well, after five years of being in business and six weeks of class (http://fasttrac.org/entrepreneurs/programs/FastTrac-GrowthVenture.aspx), I finally have a written business plan. It’s been a tough row to hoe since I feel like I'm still learning business as a “second language”.

My financials are still a little sketchy since I’m in the process of getting set up with Quick Books and an accountant. Up until now, my records have been kept with pencil and paper so I’m looking forward to being able to print out reports and all that good stuff when I get it switched over to the computer. For now, I'll remain happy with the fact that the customers are paying me, and I can still keep the lights on.

Tomorrow is the last day of class and before “graduation”, we have to do a presentation to a committee as if we were pitching our business to a financier.

With that load off my shoulders and shipping out a big job yesterday, I feel like a kid let out of school for the summer. Now I can get back to business.

Jim

Attachments

• JBP.jpg
    JBP.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 102

GypsyGraphics

good for you Jim!!! it's tough to take time out from work to educate yourself in a new way to run your business.

"business as a second language" that's a great way to put it.
after 14 years, it's still greek to me, but i'm working on it.

congrats on your graduation

Last edited:

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Congratulations. Has this process of building a plan provide any "game-changers" to your business?

Yep...even without the financial numbers, I can see where I need to realign my efforts to grow and remain profitable.

It's amazing what you can begin to see after looking and studying long enough. My biggest problem was settling down long enough to focus on planning without worrying about the matters at hand.

Jim